SR2’s 1947 Vauxhall “Rigamortice” Discussion thread.

sr2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2017 at 23:14, sr2 said:

Yes I was watching it as well, just sold for $310, a good price in my books. I'm picking it was an early 186 YT stage 3. Good to see it has the square cast push-rod holes (no need for guide plates if running roller rockers).  It also hasn't got the high compression combustion chambers which 50 years later is a huge advantage, most of the blocks and heads have been skimmed so many times the challenge has become how to keep the compression ratio low enough for BP98!

Edited to say I was watching 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1261061577

The inlet ports looked very YT but the single rather than double valve springs and the lack of an emblem on the valves left me at the least confused if not skeptical.

this guy is @vk327

4 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

this guy is @vk327

Yes, we're all speculating here but you could well be right.

My take was that I've only seen style of 'production line porting' and the sleeved head bolts from Yella Terra?

• 3 months later...

Cool build. True kiwi rodding at it's finest. Dads cousin had a J14 cut down into a roadster, diff u bolted directly to the chassis. Never seen pics of it but sounded awesome/dangerous as all hell. He swapped it to his cousin for his A40 Devon but my grandfather booted his arse so hard he was made to take it back

Dig the X2. I personally am not a huge fan of Holden as is why mine is being ditched for the engine I wanted (but couldn't find) to put in it originally, my ultra rare carb setup will be on the market once engines in place

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, xsinclairx said:

That Kwik Strip card is an awesome example of a time before men had 'man buns' and safe spaces and 'womyn' were offended by men breathing. 

I couldn't agree more mate, I still think getting "triggered" has something to do with shooting possums!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 29/09/2018 at 07:40, MACKAZ said:

Cool build. True kiwi rodding at it's finest. Dads cousin had a J14 cut down into a roadster, diff u bolted directly to the chassis. Never seen pics of it but sounded awesome/dangerous as all hell. He swapped it to his cousin for his A40 Devon but my grandfather booted his arse so hard he was made to take it back

Dig the X2. I personally am not a huge fan of Holden as is why mine is being ditched for the engine I wanted (but couldn't find) to put in it originally, my ultra rare carb setup will be on the market once engines in place

Thanks for the encouraging words, there are no rules here other than different strokes for different folks. 

I'm so enjoying the originality of your build. IMOP  please don't just go for yet another SBC Chev or Ford or even the venerable side-valve V8.

To keep in character with what you're  building you need to think out of the square, how about a sidevalve Super Snipe  6 (ask your Dad), a straight 8 Packlard/ Hudson etc., a Chev Blueflame or even an old GM Gimmy diesel? Either way the bottom line is it's your build and your choice so don't listen us lot, the choice is entirely up to you.

As a die hard fan of totally impractical solutions of problems that never existed in the first place I'm head over heals  in love with your "ultra rare" carb setup. When Holden mistakenly put two carburetors on  the X2 HR 9 port head ( trying to divide 2 into 9 was not their brightest idea, and it got even more ludicrous with the 153624 firing order) the Aussie aftermarket crowd furiously entered the fray!  What you have there is pure gold, don't ever expect it to work properly (unless with overly rich jetting) but in all my years of messing about with Holden 6's I've never seen one before.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 21:35, sr2 said:

Thanks for the encouraging words, there are no rules here other than different strokes for different folks. 

I'm so enjoying the originality of your build. IMOP  please don't just go for yet another SBC Chev or Ford or even the venerable side-valve V8.

To keep in character with what you're  building you need to think out of the square, how about a sidevalve Super Snipe  6 (ask your Dad), a straight 8 Packlard/ Hudson etc., a Chev Blueflame or even an old GM Gimmy diesel? Either way the bottom line is it's your build and your choice so don't listen us lot, the choice is entirely up to you.

As a die hard fan of totally impractical solutions of problems that never existed in the first place I'm head over heals  in love with your "ultra rare" carb setup. When Holden mistakenly put two carburetors on  the X2 HR 9 port head ( trying to divide 2 into 9 was not their brightest idea, and it got even more ludicrous with the 153624 firing order) the Aussie aftermarket crowd furiously entered the fray!  What you have there is pure gold, don't ever expect it to work properly (unless with overly rich jetting) but in all my years of messing about with Holden 6's I've never seen one before.

Dads first stockcar in 1981-82 had a very worked Supersnipe engine in it. I'm not going V8, it's had one dangled in the engine bay but looked physically too small. It's getting another 6 in it and it isn't modern. There is a rod running around up here with one in it, but only one I've ever seen, even going through my old NZHR mags there's nothing...

23 hours ago, SOHC said:

If you want another free 186 drive down point Chevalier road to Coyle park and go down to the beach at low tide and you will see one on your right hand side 

LOL; sounds like you're setting me up for flogging someones mooring? 

8 hours ago, MACKAZ said:

Dads first stockcar in 1981-82 had a very worked Supersnipe engine in it. I'm not going V8, it's had one dangled in the engine bay but looked physically too small. It's getting another 6 in it and it isn't modern. There is a rod running around up here with one in it, but only one I've ever seen, even going through my old NZHR mags there's nothing...

You'll have to let on, the suspense is killing us! 

I'm hoping it will be a totally impracticable and at the least able to be described  as  an unwieldy one of a kind solution to a problem that that never existed in the first place.  

• 10 months later...
On 11/08/2019 at 09:40, MACKAZ said:

Pistons were a score, yes stuff is getting hard to find for the old Red motors. As revealed I'm putting a 265 Hemi Valiant with a MC6 4 speed GMH gearbox. Try getting bits for Mopar! 

Respect given and well deserved mate. 

A fine, particularly impracticable choice in motors!

• 3 weeks later...