SR2’s 1947 Vauxhall “Rigamortice” Discussion thread.

sr2

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datlow said:

All good mate and thanks for the feedback - us blind bastards need to keep together!

I actually invested in a pair some 6 months or so ago; found them great for weed eating, lawn mowing, etc. and discovered they worked well on the boat when there was a lot of spray around and you need to still see the GPS and the gauges.

Problem is when grinding, welding or machining I need all the perifocal vision mother nature can throw at me and bi-focal doesn't quite cut the cake.  

• Like 1

https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/armadillo-replacement-clear-visor-each-112018?gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjmjMbFgcTd60ibiG7krsv0Irbj-ejvK1otrySA4J1Tkh5lyk2L_9NxoCxMwQAvD_BwE

This is what you need, after having to go to doctors 3-4 times with metal splinters embedded in my eye, and having them scraped out. No problems with huffying up - I also use a 3M respirator underneath as I got sick of all the grinding dust up my nose etc..

That way you can still wear your normal glasses, and protect your whole face.. (Im not blind, nor do I wear glasses lol)

18 minutes ago, CUL8R said:

https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/armadillo-replacement-clear-visor-each-112018?gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjmjMbFgcTd60ibiG7krsv0Irbj-ejvK1otrySA4J1Tkh5lyk2L_9NxoCxMwQAvD_BwE

This is what you need, after having to go to doctors 3-4 times with metal splinters embedded in my eye, and having them scraped out. No problems with huffying up - I also use a 3M respirator underneath as I got sick of all the grinding dust up my nose etc..

That way you can still wear your normal glasses, and protect your whole face.. (Im not blind, nor do I wear glasses lol)

Thanks for thatmate. Loved the positive feedback you always get on this site.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2022 at 21:45, CUL8R said:

I also use a 3M respirator underneath as I got sick of all the grinding dust up my nose etc..

Ive been using dust masks for the last 10 years now, after I started working on that Bedford cf project. I was noticing how much dust etc I had in my nose at the end of the day.  If I ever even grind something for a few seconds without a mask I quickly note how much stuff I'm breathing in. Or you see the stuff floating about in the air when grinding in the sunshine. I figure all the metal drops to the floor so what we are breathing is the fine dust from the epoxy that holds the disc together? 

@sr2  Vauxhall Viva hbs have a really nice gearstick gaitor you might like. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Ive been using dust masks for the last 10 years now, after I started working on that Bedford cf project. I was noticing how much dust etc I had in my nose at the end of the day.  If I ever even grind something for a few seconds without a mask I quickly note how much stuff I'm breathing in. Or you see the stuff floating about in the air when caging in the sunshine. I figure all the metal drops to the floor so what we are breathing is the fine dust from the epoxy that holds the disc together? 

None of the shit I blow out into the sink rusts, so I think this is the case 

Shower floor is pretty Rusty tho

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yoeddynz said:

Ive been using dust masks for the last 10 years now, after I started working on that Bedford cf project. I was noticing how much dust etc I had in my nose at the end of the day.  If I ever even grind something for a few seconds without a mask I quickly note how much stuff I'm breathing in. Or you see the stuff floating about in the air when grinding in the sunshine. I figure all the metal drops to the floor so what we are breathing is the fine dust from the epoxy that holds the disc together? 

Worse than that Yoeddynz, its also Fibreglass and other (probably more nasty) things that give the disc its structure.

Makes me feel sick thinking about it.

Also, check the computers grille/filter on any cnc/workshop machinery. Ya breaking that shit in all day long, its terrible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/09/2022 at 10:17, SOHC said:

Give john a call 021959752 may have something.

Thanks mate, I've made the call that because I'm planning on eventually running a stroked motor I need to swallow my pride and have an alloy custom radiator made up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, RXFORD said:

You sure thats cu/ni tube? Could just be the pics but looks too coppery. Cu/ni is more dull gold and will have markings to confirm what it is. Where did you get it from?

It is definitely copper nickel not copper. The copper look is just a coating, I like the look but you have to be careful not to scratch through it when bending or flaring. I bought it from a wholesaler in Australia.

On 02/10/2022 at 23:03, RXFORD said:

You sure thats cu/ni tube? Could just be the pics but looks too coppery. Cu/ni is more dull gold and will have markings to confirm what it is. Where did you get it from?

Just saw that Key West in Henderson have the same copper nickel tube in stock if you're after some.

• 2 weeks later...