SR2’s 1947 Vauxhall “Rigamortice” Discussion thread.

sr2

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Dell'orto said:

Wait, the guy was offended you wanted to pay more for it??? 

That about sums it up. 

I think he was pissed with people asking him on his auction if it was a YT, he'd convinced himself it wasn't and was sticking to his guns!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Kiwibirdman said:

Good to see you are back at it. 

Thanks mate, been a a bit busy of late - and another friggin corporate job!

Race car takes a lot of time - but what a babe. 

And the good ship "Aquaholic has needed attention. (We got it a shitload cheaper!).

Carver.JPG.0aaa510f7db9fc5dad1c48f88e9ec917.JPG

• Like 3

On 28/10/2021 at 07:13, Kiwibirdman said:

Too many toys.....too little time.......

Bit of a funny story behind the boat.

It had been left in the Tamaki Drystack for a few years after the owner had lost interest. I was happy with my current trailer boat but when the Carver came on the market my brother & my wife's uncle (an old fishing buddy) said they'd come in as silent partners in buying the boat (we fluked it for almost half the original advertised price!). Great upgrade, hasn't cost me much to go from a 14 ft trailer boat to something that sleeps 5 people; the good ship "Aquaholic" is currently residing in the Milford Mariner just 2 1/2 minutes drive from home.

The funny part of the story is the wife's uncle is 74 years old and my brother is overseas most of the time - guess who does all the anti-fouling and maintenance? I keep telling them the must have seen me coming a mile away!

Not complaining though, its a great boat.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm chuffed to see that you are back into the Resurrection of Rigamortice Simon. I've missed your updates.

Keep them coming !  

Cheers mate, same applies to your thread - love your project.

Been working hard on trying to adjust the work/play balance.

Edited to say: I have a soft spot for old pommy shite and an obsession for "totally impractical solutions for problems that never existed in the first place". I suspect we are kindred spirit. 

Edited by sr2
embelishment
  • Like 1

Well said about the kindred spirits mate.

I often think back on previous projects that I have done and how I would now do things differently being older - but not necessarily wiser.

You are in the fortunate position to be making improvements on the same vehicle after so many years. Not many get that opportunity.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Flash said:

Well said about the kindred spirits mate.

I often think back on previous projects that I have done and how I would now do things differently being older - but not necessarily wiser.

You are in the fortunate position to be making improvements on the same vehicle after so many years. Not many get that opportunity.

One of my favourite quotes is "youth and exuberance is no match for old age and treachery". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 08/11/2021 at 18:42, JustHarry said:

@sr2Are you going to stay with the 4 speed?  Or gonna put a 5 speed in?

Be aware that the 5 speed uses ad differnt mount and is about 50mm further back than the 4 speed. 

Thanks for the input mate.

Thought process was to start off with the 4 speed (as per the 1992 declaration) and then strip, rebuild and fit the 5 speed at a later date. 

Have to say I thought the mount bolt patterns were the same and the difference is only 12 mm, I'll check tomorrow, take some photo's and report back.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JustHarry said:

Ok. I though if was further back.

When I put a w50 in my 1971 crown from a w40 I had to modify the crossmember significantly. 

Cheers for the info mate, did you have to modify the driveshaft?