SR2’s 1947 Vauxhall “Rigamortice” Discussion thread.

sr2

YT still make 6 cylinder heads but they are alloy,  http://store.yellaterra.com.au/categories/cylinder-heads/holden/holden-straight-6.html?sort=priceasc the replacement valves might be the same?

I've been in touch with YT, the alloy Holden 6 heads they make are all 12 ports (Blue or Black mtr) and the valves are different. Big issue is the 5 thou oversize stems, I may have to just bite the bullet and replace all the exhaust guides to bring them back to standard, it would give me a lot more options.

I'm still kicking myself for not turning the motor over more frequently!  :cry:

• Like 2

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've all done that. Another thing that annoyed me was batteries getting koozed. Purchasing some battery optimisers has paid for itself a couple of times...

Cheers for that mate, still tears me undies - I'm old enough to know better.

On a brighter note; the weather is clearing and it's a long weekend - may just have to take the boat out and catch a few Hauraki Gulf Snappers!

Not a major to drill out the head and press in some brass stem seals. Cast iron if you think you are a racecar owner.

Then use whatever valves cut to length you want.

IV got to do this myself

LOL; in 20 plus years of motor racing I've always managed to avoided being a racecar owner.  Rule number one has and always will be  'go racing on someone else's money'!

On a lighter note yes I'm looking and all new guides and possibly hardened seat inserts - the jury is still out on the latter.

I've been in touch with YT, the alloy Holden 6 heads they make are all 12 ports (Blue or Black mtr) and the valves are different. Big issue is the 5 thou oversize stems, I may have to just bite the bullet and replace all the exhaust guides to bring them back to standard, it would give me a lot more options.

I'm still kicking myself for not turning the motor over more frequently!  :cry:

Could you have the existing guides reamed out to take the bigger stems?

Your about to come into some money so the missis wont mind.

Could you have the existing guides reamed out to take the bigger stems?

Your about to come into some money so the missis wont mind.

LOL; I appreciate your concerns re my financial solvency but the issue with Mrs sr2 is not with expenditure it is with the far more (potentially) explosive issue of where to store my burgeoning spare parts collection!

(Believe me I support far more expensive hobbies than just my passion for refurbishing old cars).

Re the valve issue; the guides are already oversize, I'll probably bite the bullet and  replace them with standard to solve the problem.

• Like 1

I'm keen on keeping the original block in the car with everything under the bonnet looking as it did in the early 80's. Running the 3.3 Blue counterbalanced crank will bring the capacity of the X2 186 up to 202, (i.e. from 3.0 to 3.3).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I got told to tell that engine reconditioner its for your daily driver if you ever take anything to him or it can take a wile, 

he is a nice guy and knows his stuff tho, he measured up my new flathead and okayed the block.

Yeah Wayne's a bit of a character but he sure knows his stuff, paticuarly with older engines. He just rebuilt a 302 for a mates 68 Mustang restoration, it wasn't cheap but it's one sweet little motor. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2017 at 11:37, governorsam said:

Yes I was watching it as well, just sold for $310, a good price in my books. I'm picking it was an early 186 YT stage 3. Good to see it has the square cast push-rod holes (no need for guide plates if running roller rockers).  It also hasn't got the high compression combustion chambers which 50 years later is a huge advantage, most of the blocks and heads have been skimmed so many times the challenge has become how to keep the compression ratio low enough for BP98!

Edited to say I was watching 

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1261061577

The inlet ports looked very YT but the single rather than double valve springs and the lack of an emblem on the valves left me at the least confused if not skeptical.

Edited by sr2