Mitsi 4G51 – 4G52 cylinder head compatiblity?

SR ROLLA

So what I thought was a blown head gasket is in fact a cracked cylinder head. Damn.

I can get my hands on a 4G51 head from a Colt 1850. Do any experienced Mitsi guys out there know off the top of their heads if these are compatible? or do I need to wait until I can get at it, pull it off and have a look for myself?

Cheers

Cracking between the valves is very common with the original square port 4g52 heads and the later round port ones are not much better. The 4g51 head will bolt up to your block and inlet manifold will bolt up without a problem. The issue you may run into is the exhaust manifold as there are at least 3 different options; square port, round port with the same bolt pattern as square port and round port where the upper studs are further toward the front of the head.

If the 4g51 head is off a balance shaft engine with the dizzy driven off the camshaft, when your original rocker cover wont fit.

I'm sure years ago i put a 1850 head on my gto,I'm guessing the cam would be different,and yes the dizzy out of the block motors apparently had issues.

i also put a gs gto cam in a 1850 and thought it ran better,but could have been dreaming.