Shitty Laser making a bad noise under brakes

igor

My wife's BG Laser is making a bad noise in the rear drum brakes like the shoes are worn out and it's going steel to steel. Not doing it all the time. She mentioned it some time ago so I jacked it up and took the wheels off in case a stone was stuck somewhere and found nothing. Tried to get the drums off for a look but the screws wouldn't come out. Didn't try very hard though cos I didn't want to chew out the screw heads. I took it for a hurtle and couldn't get it to make any brake noise at all so decided a stone must have been stuck in something and then fallen out so thought nothing more of it. Drove it yesterday and got the noise just sometimes. Anyone got any good ideas for getting the stuck screws out without fucking anything? I did give them a good soaking with CRC while I had the wheels off but that was months ago and I haven't had the wheels off again to check whether it did any good. Thanking you in advance, Igor.

My brother showed me a good trick where you put a socket and breaker bar over the end of a screwdriver with a hexagonal handle.

Also, it could just be a case of heaps of dust buildup on the shoes. You could try and spray heaps of brake cleaner into the drum through the adjustment holes or something if you can't get the drum off/probably won't really help though

Thanks guys. I thought about drilling out the screw heads as a last reosrt and wondered if I'd get away with it. Obviously the wheels will hold the drums on but is that legit at wof time or would it fail if they take the wheels off for something else and notice? I've got an impact driver somewhere but I haven't seen it for a long time. If I knew where it was I'd give it a try. Should take a weekend or two and tidy up / sort out my tools so I can find stuff.

They shouldn't be taking your wheels off for a WOF check?!

But no it shouldn't effect a WOF, many/most drum brakes don't have any screws or anything holding the drums on other than the wheels.

Can confirm, my car 100% does not have anything holding the drums on except the wheels. You'll be sweet :)

Thanks guys. Ended up loosening the screws with a cold chisel and a big centrepunch. Only munted them a little bit but I didn't bother putting them back in. Gave the brakes a clean and the noise went away so we're all good. Still plenty of lining left for a little while at least. Stopped from 40 by firm application of the handbrake only and it pulled up straight and smooth with no noise at all.

• Like 1