mlracing's Hakosuka.

kyteler

OK, my suggestion based of my frozen environment and many choke affixed vehicles would be first thing in the morning/after it sitting over-night, several hours what-ever. Pull the choke all the way out. Stab the gas three times. Turn the key with an eager foot to give it a little solid gas at about quarter throttle (only IF it catches) then push the choke in slowly whilst holding a little throttle, maybe sit the choke at half for a little bit until it's running a bit better then eventually put it all the way in using your throttle to modulate the idle.

If you can get that first catch, the motor will have spun fast enough to let the mechanical fuel pump fill the bowl to continue running or at the very least allow you to attempt to start it a second time with fuel actually there.

If however the carb is draining completely due to sitting then none of this matters and your easiest option is simply one of the fuel pumps like Beaver or Snoozin got for their cars, that way you turn the key, it primes the carb, spin it to starter and you're golden.

Cool I'll have a look today and see if I can determine if there is fuel in the float bowl still or if it's been drunk by aliens. One wonders if this was an issue right from manufacture and people just dealt with it because it was how it was at the time?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for an signs of leaking around the carb, if it's a minor enough leak from a seal then it'll evaporate fairly fast but likely leave a stain if it's been doing it for a while. Some of the 2BBL Hitachi's have a glass window in the front for checking your float level so you might be lucky if that's the case. If its not it's usually only three screws to remove said cover. The air cleaner assembly will likely be bolted in at least one place to the intake manifold as well as the lid being wingnutted down onto the carb itself.

Great news everyone, I'm an idiot! Full user error with regard to choke usage. Had a look just now, float has fuel in it so all good. Did the method kyteler suggested and boom fired up without any problem whatsoever. Thanks heaps! Full on manual choke noob here but learning!

Yeah this Hitachi has a window I could check the level.

Hahaha whut?!

Sort that shit man, jesus, speakerwire, I don't even..

Wait till you see how I set that bad boy, I have a perfectly calibrated bit of no8 wire which is attached to the end of the speaker wire. I pull the choke out till  the wire can just catch on the top heater slider line for full choke, other lower slider options on the dash for less choke.

Shes not on the road yet so its just temp... honest!

back on topic, I get fuzzy feeling in my pants over this car. top notch man. your living my dream

• 2 weeks later...

So I noticed something while test driving it yesterday (I had noticed before but didn't think much of it). When turning to the right at low speed or maybe off throttle/from a stand still it seems to bog or feel like it's being starved of gas for a short bit. Would it be something like the gas in the float bowl is just being pushed to one side where there isn't a jet?

• 2 weeks later...

Looking sharp! Sometimes I use a smear of grease to mask things when I paint fiddley bits. Then just paint and wipe the grease off after.

That's not a bad idea. Initially I was thinking of something like vasoline or similar then I got lazy/thought I was better than I actually turned out to be haha

Nah just fill it in with heaps of layers of paint / nail polish /whatever and then when dry use a v fine abrasive on a flat block to clean off anything higher than the sides

I reckon I'll just leave it as is until I eventually maybe get around to refurbing the whole grille area. Actually when I was showing someone the car earlier today it looks fine from about a foot away and chances of looking super close are slim.. there are much more important things to get onto first haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe, I got it from somewhere like Taranaki, can't recall exactly where now. Was in a sad state when I got it.. manage to get it back on the road. Still not flash haha but it's a hoot to drive as well

I'll see if I can dig up some photos of it and we'll see if it's the same - had a pretty hard life. Was the fastest car I'd driven until a friend got a WRX STi Type RA.