Firebrands mirage tuuuuurbo

DoBro Jesus

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So yeah, I just brought this! Somehow it made it the 7kms to my house with no alternator/water pump belt, it got pretty warm, but I doubt it was hot enough to do any damage. I'll get a new belt and take it for a proper thrash on the weekend. What a wicked little car, no idea what I'm going to do with it yet, hopefully tidy up and then get it road legal again to start with.

Will get more pictures up soon.

Cheers to jesselc for the help, and moving all of his cars out the way to get it going for me. I'll do my best to take care of it!

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

So as usual, I haven't updated this for a while. There has been a little bit of progress. First job was to reinstall the front spring that was in the passenger footwell, so now all four corners are back at factory height, It's so high though:

P1040328 (Medium).JPG

Also, seems like a bit of water has been getting in, and the carpet and rear seat base were pretty rotten and full of mould, so naturally I ripped them all out. Carpet was binned, and I tried to dry out the rear seats, but I think I will probably just replace them, as they are pretty far gone:

IMG_20160820_135913263_HDR (Medium).jpg

Now I'm just cleaning out the interior, will get some replacement carpet & rear seats. here's how it looks stripped out - pretty much all of that rust is just on the surface, or staining from seatbelt mounts etc that were wet. In fact there doesn't seem to be much rust at all throughout the car, which is nice:

IMG_20160820_135903024_HDR (Medium).jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just a quick update on my Mirage, progress has been pretty slow...

I've cleaned up the remaining Interior bits, replaced the carpet with some from a Nissan Primera that I ended up wrecking a while ago. 

After sitting around for ages it didn't really want to start - but I threw in a new battery, replaced the fuel filter and cleaned & re-gapped the spark plugs. Managed to get it to fire up with a bit of engine start, but it wouldn't idle, and was backfiring out of the carb.

After a couple of hours of adjusting the carb, and a few bursts of carb cleaner, it seems to be running pretty well now, definitely a bit rough still but at least it starts by itself, idles & runs Ok.

r2wgMgk.jpg

mSeHypD.jpg

Next step is to get underneath as there's a bit of a water leak somewhere, and then start on getting the body a bit tidier. 

I'm still looking for a rear seat & a windscreen if anyone has them lying around.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...