Dangle6060's Electric ke70

flyingbrick

Why do you need electric vacuum?

Must be for brake booster?

I think you should drive a small diesel alternator vac pump off the motors forward output shaft. Be like .01 power drain and you'll have all the vacuum you could want (use a vacuum canister and one way valves like a diesel..no idea how they work in practice)

Aux electric vac pumps are pretty common on a few modern cars, dunno how much volume you'd need but two should be heaps.

Have you tried wreckers? Late model VE V6 commodores and VF V6s should have them fitted RHF of engine.

Some of the smaller/turbo new Holden range has them too.

If it is for Brake boosting, is a non boosted brake operation an option?

Change the master cylinder bore size (smaller bore required) and adjust the clevis point in the pedal to allow more lineal push of the pushrod and you can delete the requirement for a vacuum servo.
May also require more bracing around the master cylinder to counter the increased force imposed on the firewall.

Yeah the vacuum pump is for the brake booster, I will look into the Commodore option seems legit and they'll be reliable too :-)

I know Tom Short with the Yellow Electric Datsun uses a non-boosted setup from an older skyline which seems to do the trick, the other problem is will it be enough for the upgraded to Wildwood big brakes up front?

I'll look into Diesel alternator can pump also and if it is a small job then I may go that route also!

Have you ordered batteries yet? I spent a number of years developing a variety of EV battery chargers in a previous job and have gotten to know a person or 2 that might be able to get a good deal on batteries. No promises, but happy to send out a couple emails and see what I can do if you don't already have some lined up.

Those dual warp 9s are going to be crazy awesome in a KE70! Love it!

Theres plenty of RC hobby chargers/dischargers out there but none that i know of that will do 1000W charge and discharge. The little cheap hobby ones will normally do 50W charge and 5W discharge which is no good for big big cells (unless you wanna wait a million years to cycle batteries)

What we did was out packs were 144V and we would divide them into 3 packs of 48V and to discharge we would connect them in parallel and use a big 3 phase grid tied inverter to suck all the power out and pump it back into the mains. Then disconnect and reconnect the batteries back in series for 144V and charge them again.

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, johnny.race said:

Did anyone ever see the car though ... at a show or somewhere? 

Yup, saw it more or less complete minus batteries at Evolocity 2015 (ie about a month before the last post here.) to be honest they were all young guys 17/18 yo and life has probably got in the way.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1