GreenTC's 1978 Triumph 2500TC.

GreenTC

A triumph cruise would be grouse, there is enough of us on here.

I'll try what you mentioned tomorrow. Think I'll have to pull the whole thing apart and start from scratch as I backed the adjuster off before reinstalling.

Admittedly this is my first old car and my experience is mainly with discs.

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes please. I just drove my Triumph down to Zebra Dude's shed and back.

I love driving it so I'm all for the idea!

Sweet, a cruise with all the TC's, 2500S's and P.Is out to a photogenic area is certainly on the cards.

ZebraDude might even be down himself.

• Like 1

Grab 2 and some new shoes too. Not too expensive and is peace of mind. Once their done not much to go wrong fir a while back there. Trumpys have pretty sweet hand brakes once everything is adjusted back in spec they also pull up pretty good.

Grab 2 and some new shoes too. Not too expensive and is peace of mind. Once their done not much to go wrong fir a while back there. Trumpys have pretty sweet hand brakes once everything is adjusted back in spec they also pull up pretty good.

Just bought a new hand brake cable as the last adjuster was rooted. The shoes have heaps of life left in them. 

Is it normally best to replace wheel cylinders in pairs? Or does it not cause an imbalance. 

Just took her out for a road test. The car feels hugely different, that wheel was not providing any braking force whatsoever previously (according to the Brake Test Machine) and now I can lock it up under very hard braking. Feels a lot nicer to drive.

Maybe I should have replaced everything all at once.

I now have an imbalance going the other way. The right brake is now the strong one. 

Bake the shit out of it, get the wof and worry about it later  :wink:

Not like we both haven't done it before 

These ones are automatically adjusting. I think ill pull the left one apart, have a play about, and then bake the shit out of it.

it is always possible to adjust manually , it needs to be cause auto adjusters dont always adjust .... automatically , the 'baking' approach is average at best and is more suited to oil/brakefluid contaminated linings , good luck

• Like 1

it is always possible to adjust manually , it needs to be cause auto adjusters dont always adjust .... automatically , the 'baking' approach is average at best and is more suited to oil/brakefluid contaminated linings , good luck

I've backed the adjuster all the way off on the good side, so I'll give the drum a good clean and a light scuff on the bad side as well as cleaning the brake lining itself as you suggested, hopefully its a bit glazed. 

The baking approach always worked prime on my bluebird for WOFs, but as is said above it doesn't actually fix the problem. 

If no difference is made I guess I'll have to replace the wheel cylinder on the other side and might as well do all the shoes. 

After that I guess it could only be a proportioning valve or bad drums.

Knowledge of drum brakes = 4/5ths of FA. 

I did mine as a trial an error process strip 1 side at a time and have manual handy to compare as i guarantee plenty of hands have been on them. New shoes take a while to bed in haha i dailyed mine to work using handbrake to stop after a week or so i popped them open blew dust out re adjusted and had a excellent 3 click hand brake.

• 2 months later...

they are PI hubcaps you have on it at the moment. Are you after another set of them? or an original set of TC hubcaps. I have an average to alright set of TC hubcaps that i have no use for, can fish them out tomorrow and take a photo if you want.