GreenTC's 1978 Triumph 2500TC.

GreenTC

Can anyone recommend the best way to bring my intake manifold/ carbs back to looking good?

I was thinking maybe some form of media blasting would clean it up well? Is there anywhere I could take all my bits and bobs for metal polishing?

Also looking at possibly getting a few bits such as the intake powder coated, thoughts? 

Really want to get the engine bay tidied up, it still looks as foul as you can see in the first post n this thread. 

After work this evening I decided to remove and repaint the radiator. However now that I've pulled it out I believe it me be past its use by date. As soon as you touch it the fins crumble away. Time to find an original looking replacement.

lBoRK7Wh.jpg

I then pulled the intake, carbs, intake manifold and hoses off.

2LDl7Yqh.jpg

I pulled the exhaust manifold after that. Next step is to find somewhere to get everything blasted.

• Like 2

Radiator has been dropped off to be reconditioned, it wasn't cheap but oh well.

Rusty fuel lines have been replaced.

I've ordered a new manifold gasket and hose kit. Should be here next week I'd hope.

I got my bits and pieces back from sand blasting today, I'll drop them into the powder coaters tomorrow

cMblXISh.jpg

These will hopefully go a long way to tidying up the engine bay. I also gave the bay a bit of a clean on starboard side whilst all of this is out.

3fjtzovh.jpg

Also on the list:

Replace thermostat cover, replace all hoses and clips/clamps, repaint rocker cover (better this time), organise for the wiper motor assembly to be polished, clean port side of the engine bay, repaint oil filter housing, refit radiator, refit intake and exhaust manifolds, refit carbs, make carb gaskets (I've never made a gasket in me life, should be easy?)

• Like 4

Nice surprise at work this morning, Rimmers had delivered!

vkJWqc9h.jpg

I only managed to get the manifold gasket, exhaust manifold and bottom gasket on before the rain started! Black powder coat looking better than rust already. Decided to give the air intake Flexi hoses a bit of a scrub whilst inside with nothing to do.

M2EdHTYh.jpg

6f4gatxh.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Was hoping to head down to Rotorua today but the TC wasn't having it. The car was intermittently hugely down on power. It would either pick back up or run roughly and die. It got to the point I couldn't restart the car and had to have it towed home.

I believe the issue may be fuel related. To people who are familiar with these, is it usual for the fuel level in the sight bowl to fluctuate between 30% and 100% full?

SCakTmTh.jpg

I thought possibly the inline filter was blocking the flow, but after replacing it I cut it open and it looked pretty good. Not bad enough to hinder flow I think.

CNAW3Wih.jpg

I've grabbed a set of plugs and I'll order a set of leads to take them out of the possibilities.

OE6eXU5h.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions as to why it might be intermittently down on power I'm all ears.

• Like 1

In today's episode of office boy plays with old shit and fails I replace some bits and nothing happens.

I managed to swap the HT Leads, Condenser, Rotor and Points. None of that helped me though. Still won't start.

4MHvrE8h.jpg

So I did what Blizzo reckoned and which the top off the carbs, I was greeted with this

yJXp9Ykh.jpg

That blury yellow stuff is fuel, running a bit rich haha.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...