GreenTC's 1978 Triumph 2500TC.

GreenTC

Hello Guys and Girls,

Thought I'd introduce my recently inherited old Triumph. 

If you'd like leave your thoughts on the discussion thread:

It's a 1978 Triumph 2500TC. This one is an automatic running the twin carb 2.5 straight 6 under the bonnet. These engines made a grand total of 99 Horses at the crank when new. 

This car has been in my family since new starting its life in Wellington and has been living at the beach in Matata since 1994 (hence the rusty exterior).

After my Grandfather passed the car came down to me, I have since relocated it to Auckland to begin tidying it up and bringing it back to how I remember as a kid. 

A couple of pictures of it being picked up from Matata:

11hHRfR.jpg

3kAwq13.jpg

xm1zOJr.jpg

The bonnet had rusted quite badly (worse than it looks) , but the oil was fresh and with a bit of fresh fuel and persistence she fired up after having sat for 5 months. 

5UF9r8K.jpg

mBiq50q.jpg

I'll update with details of my parts hunt later on.
  • Like 7

I am planning to leave the car original. So the Auto box will most likely stay. 

The car had a couple of minor flaws. The centre console was cracked around the choke lever and the dash had a crack in the vinyl. The wood around the gauges also could have been tidier. 

HA7EBbR.jpg

I set out to remedy these little faults. I found a 75 2500TC at a local Pik A Part which is a D.I.Y wreckers. Here she was when I found her, still complete minus the steering wheel. 

q1OY4vM.jpg

I needed a few things, but decided I'd take many things. I soon had the dash out, bonnet removed, badges stripped, wooden trim removed, side indicator lenses flogged as well as the centre console and a few other things. 

Sn0oE3O.jpg

sBDc5Os.jpg

xCETrzK.jpg

I got home and made quick work of swapping out the rust free bonnet from the wrecker car onto my TC. Green bonnet being the original.

6AiiqG1.jpg

jbN0qYi.jpg

The car will be going in to be be re painted its original colour as well as having some rust repaired.

• Like 4

I had a call from the painter last night to come and have a look at the old girl.

All the rust has been cut out and welded where necessary.

SjfVYLt.jpg

She's been filled, primed and will be sanded back this week.

Hopefully colour will be sprayed on next week and she wont be too far away from being picked up. 

(Mark X in the background looking pretty)

szgyBqC.jpg

Still have an oil leak to look at, but that's not a major just yet

• Like 4

I've sourced a replacement sorround for the gauges as the one in this car is blistering a bit. The one from the donor car was a few years older and had a different brake warning light. May sound over the top but changing the style of light wasn't an option as that's not original for this car. 

tsFkngB.jpg

Have also ordered a new Uni-Joint for the propshaft as I've got all the symptoms of a worn UJ. Banging and thudding etc.

fZ0OxJO.jpg

• Like 1

Today was WOF time, unfortunately the old girl failed on the below:

tygUjB2h.jpg

The rear right break wasn't doing much and the handbrake was quite weak. 

I had a look at the rear right brake first of all. Had trouble getting the retaining screws out meaning I had to drill one of them. Gave everything in there a good clean up and I'll bleed the brakes to check for any air in the lines (no mates around to help me today). Linings look good too. So not too sure what could be causing the imbalance apart from the break dust. 

liumIe9h.jpg 

Then to adjusting the handbrake, not so easy. The adjuster had completely seized to the thread. Meaning I couldn't adjust it at all. Being directly under the car and subjected to a lot of water and dirt the threads were rooted. 

4GukVJvh.jpg

So I had to order a few bits from Rimmers. Hopefully it'll be enough to get her roadworthy for another 6 months. 

9i3mRPph.jpg

• Like 6

So I've pulled the old dash out, and centre console out. Bit of a pain in some respects. Didn't realise these newer cars had a one piece choke cable (knob welded to the cable) for example which means the whole cable has to be removed to get the centre console out. The wrecker car had a different setup.

Pulling the dash gauges

OhwVqxy.jpg

As she sits now

a3ifdoh.jpg

Really hoping to have it all back together and working on Sunday. Then just to wait for the brake bits to arrive so that I can take it for a re-check and hopefully to its (and my) first oldschool meet Wednesday night later in the month.

• Like 3

Progress hasn't been quick as I've been doing other things, bloody job gets in the way a bit.

Anyway, parts to hopefully get her through a WOF have arrived from both Rimmers and Hawkswood Classics.

apn8k7oh.jpg

Also gave the new dash a clean up and did a bench test fit. Looking better thank the cracked and weather one of the past.

8HkjODH.jpg

Then got the centre consol installed and hooked back up. Being crack-less really makes a difference to the look of the interior.

WMWmjsw.jpg

Also, the gauge trim from the 75 2500TC (which has the wrong brake light) is up for sale. I'd consider giving it away to an OS member with a need for it. Otherwise I'll poke it on TradeMe for $20 or so. She's in really good nick! Pictures below:

axmlX87.jpg

ZZqKkBD.jpg

• Like 1

Turns out the reason I couldn't get the shoes compressed was that I had a spring flipped and it was fouling on a nut. Mph lack of experience with drum brake shows.

G9hW3xNh.jpg

Flipped it around, put everything back together and the tried to bleed all the air out of the replacement cylinder. All was going well until this happened

ir6Foynh.jpg

The back of the cylinder sheared off completely. Always a risk with 40 year old bits.

I've decided to buy a new one. Hoping to get one asap. ZebraDude recommended Strong Brothers on the shore. Anyone know what time they open on Monday? Or anywhere else I can get a replacement cylinder?!

I'd love to get one on Monday or Tuesday if possible.

• Like 2

Popped in to see Sterling Clutch & Brake, good bunch of lads who got one of these for me

6X7DI2T.jpg

Hoping to pop it on tonight and take it in for another re-check on Tuesday or Wednesday morning, and then come to Wednesdays meet!

Where do you guys get your WOFs? I'm guessing not the VTNZ? 

• Like 2

Picture-less update.

Managed to get the imbalance down to 23% (has to be 19% to pass).

After further investigation one of the Pistons had siezed in place , meaning the rear shoe wasn't getting much done.

Back to Stirling Clutch & Brake on Monday it is. Hopefully the new part bring the imbalance right down.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a lot has been happening on the Trump recently (probably a good sign). All I have done is replaced the rear hand brake cable as the last one had stretched, the Triumph can now be left on hills unsupervised. Unrelated, a couple of photos of GreenTC and VKZAC out in Maraetai.

BC8sYlYh.jpg

KnxaUXkh.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm slowly tidying up the very sad looking engine bay one piece at a time, replacing/polishing parts and painting where needed. Iwill probably get the intake side all professionally polished when I figure out how to take it off. 

Half way through polishing up this rusty wiper motor cover my Dremmel died. That must mean I can justify buying an air compressor and all the gear that comes with. 

yn56me4.jpg

The car will be at the Auckland Triumph Car Club annual Show 'n Shine in St Helliers this Sunday morning. Could be worth a look if any of you guys are keen on your Triumphs. Expected turnout is about 50 cars. 

Pretty good day out at the ATCC show n shine today. A fairly decent turnout of about 35 cars at a guess.

z2kx2TPh.jpg

Xkn9H6Mh.jpg

Z19ONmSh.jpg

My TC was lucky enough to come away with an award for best 2000/2500.

nBrH8n6.jpg

Was only marked down for the rear bumper, drivers seat and the general untidiness of the engine bay.

• Like 4