Kirk28s' 1991 Toyota Century VG45

kirk28

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

last time I was back in NZ I pulled it out of the garage and gave it the clay bar then hand polished treatment..I have sourced a wiring diagram so will be getting the windows etc working.

oAK5Nsc.jpg

7rhgJBw.jpg

k2scB73.jpg

Also on Japan Yahoo I found the red missing badge for the boot lock latch ...

VdBqvi1.jpg

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

I flew up to the Gold Coast last weekend, and decided to go pick up a spare Window Motor that I need for my Century.

Had to drive up to Ipswich and met an old bloke who had two wrecking, he was pretty awesome, had three large work shops on his land, a mint Mk1 Zephyr a Mint pontiac Firebird a Cobra kitcar with a century V8 and he was building a 56' Ford F100 running a century V8; pretty serious engineering -he had fab'ed up a wider chassis to fit the wider engine, fitting Air Con and elecs from the century.Should have taken pics but my phone was flat.

Anyway anyone who knows the VG40 + VG45 Century probably knows the electric windows usually fail.A bloke down in Melbourne who has a few explained how to fix them, which is good because since I've had my 91 Century they have never worked. Before I bought the car some amateur auto electrician had pulled one motor completely apart and fuked it good.

Here's the Fix - emailed to me by a mate..will have to wait till i'm back in NZ to fix mine.

The nylon gear is the weak point, it cracks in a straight line between a pair of teeth through to the centre. Once the two teeth separate you have no more drive, just a clicking sound.
Toyota no longer make the nylon gear, but to  repair your existing ones :

*Gently clamp the crack closed with a bit of super glue in there, then used a soldering iron to seal over the join on front and back,
*Then plate it like surgeons do with bones. In this case I used a piece of old feeler gauge, again glue behind it and a couple of tiny screws into the nylon for lateral support. Works like a dream.

uhqahxJ.jpg

Also note Century window lift motors are close cousins of those used in the Crown MS85 (and possibly others models of that era). The only differences are the lugs on the outer casing, everything else is the same.

I also remember reading somewhere that someone had new nylon gear made up at a cost of like 2k? if anyone knows how to get these made cheaper -you will have a ready market for them.

I also have wiring diagrams if anyone needs them.
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hey buddy. New owner of 94 Toyota Century here. Beautiful car. 

Just recently got the drivers and left rear passenger window fixed - and yes it was the nylon gear which had gone. Had to get them machined but working well now. 

Just wondering whether you have any wiring diagrams or manuals for the VG45? Struggling to find anything online.

Thanks

Hamish 

20170702_153207.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Guys,  just join this group  whilst searching the web for a wiring diagram for an 1983 century.

i live in England and have owned my century for 13 years  and have known of it since it was imported to the Uk in 2003.

I'm  hoping one of the members will be able to help me with a diagram.

I have visited New Zealand twice 2007 and 2015 and hope to visit again in a couple of years time when i hit the big 60.

A beautiful country with beautiful people.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Graham

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...