ToMitz' 1981 Mitsubishi Sigma build ideas.

ToMitz

Have just been reading your build thread, really really enjoying seeing someone put some development time into one of these engines.

Did you ever manage to find a rocker arm? I've got many if not, and I'm local(ish) :-).

Cheers man, Im really enjoying putting the development in. I ended up finding a set of rocker arms from an old mirage which have the same ID for the shaft but a different geometry which is going to suit my aggressive lobe design and reduced basecircle size even better, bit of a lucky find at pick a part so I will be running those. 

Yeah this is cool.

"292 degrees advertised and 13.5mm" is what i had on a cam with this engine. Bigfoot has it in his lancer now. Was a good cam. Plenty more top end and was still perfectly drivable and didnt drink fuel.

Yeah this is cool.

"292 degrees advertised and 13.5mm" is what i had on a cam with this engine. Bigfoot has it in his lancer now. Was a good cam. Plenty more top end and was still perfectly drivable and didnt drink fuel.

Nice, any photos or build thread for this engine?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, there's this really mint sigma up at zebra. body work is perfection, maybe if you need any parts and ask nicely somebody will help out and send some parts down your way :P

Mean!, I've been really struggling to find a suitable one for parts. I would be super keen, mostly on annoying little pieces of trim like window wider handles and door lock knobs if anyone is heading out there with a spare container one day pretty please :)

Mean!, I've been really struggling to find a suitable one for parts. I would be super keen, mostly on annoying little pieces of trim like window wider handles and door lock knobs if anyone is heading out there with a spare container one day pretty please :)

I managed to nick the dash and gauges off it thinking i could fit it in to my car. though... now looking at the size i think it's highly unlikely :( , not sure what i'll do with it. oh yeah all the trims, windows, etc is in top condition, I'll give you a buz next time I go and if it's still there you can tell me what you need

I managed to nick the dash and gauges off it thinking i could fit it in to my car. though... now looking at the size i think it's highly unlikely :( , not sure what i'll do with it. oh yeah all the trims, windows, etc is in top condition, I'll give you a buz next time I go and if it's still there you can tell me what you need

That would be great. Ill flick you a message with my phone number to make it easier. What vehicle were you planning to put it in?

• 4 months later...

Before you start swapping mounts over check that the L200 centre won't fit in the stock housing. When I was diff hunting for my EX lancer back in the day there was an unconfirmed rumour that L200 ones fit

have herd that may work on the early L200 diff nugget into sigma wagon centres , also have never seen a old model L200 with an lsd.

FYI your wagon should have the stronger 'ten bolt diff' 

Before you start swapping mounts over check that the L200 centre won't fit in the stock housing. When I was diff hunting for my EX lancer back in the day there was an unconfirmed rumour that L200 ones fit

I was hoping this would be the case but it is not so. You may be able to tell in the photo, probably not due to crappy quality but the l200 diff is alot bigger. Wont even come close. 

have herd that may work on the early L200 diff nugget into sigma wagon centres , also have never seen a old model L200 with an lsd.

FYI your wagon should have the stronger 'ten bolt diff' 

Yeah i haven't found any LSD that will drop into the stock, smaller housing. currently tossing up between cutting, shutting and welding axles and housing to create a mix up or simply using the complete l200 axle and running 6 stud on the rear. 

is there not a way to get the 6 stud ute axles down to 4 stud mitsi? what do they do to the hilux diffs in corollas etc? I was pretty keen one day to make a jig to shorten L200 diffs into sigma size

I have no idea what it is going to take at this point, i am completely winging it buying this diff. I will let you know if the axles fit or anything easy like that but im expecting it to require quite alot of customization.

• 3 months later...

In a completely non creepy way, I feel like you and I should be friends. :wink:.

Super interested in what you're doing with the spark computer. I put some time into a crank / cam trigger setup for my Starion motor a while back, with the aim of having it all hidden behind the factory covers, and completely deleting the original distributor. Got as far as making the cam trigger setup, but needed some machinery I didn't have to get further. I should really pull it back out and continue with it.

• Like 1

In a completely non creepy way, I feel like you and I should be friends. :wink:.

Super interested in what you're doing with the spark computer. I put some time into a crank / cam trigger setup for my Starion motor a while back, with the aim of having it all hidden behind the factory covers, and completely deleting the original distributor. Got as far as making the cam trigger setup, but needed some machinery I didn't have to get further. I should really pull it back out and continue with it.

Yeah man will have to grab a beer or something at some point. Hopefully the little speedunio computer will do the trick.  

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the 80's NZ Mitsi colours, but that green, not so much. But if you dig it thats all that matters.

Are you keeping the same green on the outside? If so, id keep the same colour on the outside in the engine bay.

This thing is going to look great no matter what colour it is

• 4 weeks later...

I love that green! ive owned a few of these sedans and this is the only one i have seen in this color, iv had blue, light brown, red, white, poo brown, orange but never green. id love to see it stay that way just because its so different to the other standard sigma colors. if your going shiny everything on the motor, a nice satin black in the bay looks nice as well though, brings attention to the engine. but awesome build thread and ill be watching it every step of the way!