I need a new welding helmet

rusty360

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^have one of those at work and i agree the screen size is awesome, and so clear.

Unfortunately these boys treat it like shit and needs the inside and outside lenses replaced a long time ago 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-17 at 20:05, SOHC said:

I used a mig at someones place and I used his cheep china auto darken helmet and I reckon it didn't darken fast enough,

has anyone come across this? 

What settings did it have in the helmet? It sounds like the delay was set too slow or the sensitivity too low. 

I wholesale these helmets now - 4 sensor, huge lens area, all the adjustments and grind mode. We've sold a couple of container loads since November and they're doing well out there. Most places sell them for about $179+ GST. 

FB_IMG_1496226772414.thumb.jpg.516c0756caa735a19028d8c5e1f8cf21.jpg

On 2017-5-17 at 11:15, Nominal said:

Thread dredge.

I bought a cheap-ish CIGWeld helmet a couple of years ago which works fine on MIG and TIG. The issue I have is that I have trouble seeing what I'm doing when welding. Since I usually am just working at low amps/power I have it set on the minimum shade of 9, but can really just see the arc, not the metal around it.

I note that some auto- models adjust down to shade 8, but I'm not sure if that would make an actual difference or not?

Or would I be better off getting some portable lighting onto the weld area?

Lighting the area will help a lot but a lighter shade might also be a benefit. The one I posted above does shades 5-13. Usually 5-8 is only used for plasma cutting but I can imagine it would be ok for low amp mig welding too. 

• Like 1

I was replying to Nominal's question about only being able to see the arc and not the metal around it. 

The issue you're describing sounds like the film is still on the inside or outside of the filter or the filter covers need to be replaced.

At the risk of hijacking the thread;  may I put forward a little welding helmet tip for fellow old school-old farts out there.

Yes I know our mothers told us it would make us go blind and yes I know both sound advice and youth is wasted on the young, (I blame the demise of my eyesight on Ellie McPherson's considerable err... um... 'attributes') but a $14 investment (even if it is from the BOC Gestapo) can have you welding as well if not better than 30 years ago.

I use a 1.75 lens (while still wearing my reading glasses)  and with an average quality auto-dark helmet I can see everything and most importantly have confidence again in the quality of my welds.

https://www.boc.co.nz/shop/en/nz/boc-welding-magnification-lens

• Like 1