I need a new welding helmet

rusty360

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of welding? 

I have one of the $200+gst Cigweld ones, and it's sweet for MIG, but it gave me grief for TIG for some reason. I only have MIG though, so no problems really.

Few years old now, but I don't imagine they change much.

Need to have 4 arc sensors for it to work with tig welding, most cheaper helmets only have 2. I also have a similar Miller helmet as above, might be the older version as Ive had it for about 4-5 years now, still working mint, great helmet. Has 4 arc sensors and can weld as low as 10 amps with tig and never have an issue.

• Like 1

got one of the cigweld pro spiderweb and skulls ones because vg is a lovely butterfly seems to work pretty good only naff thing is you have to turn it on/its not always on/senses to turn on. it turns itself off after a while and i need to work out how to adjust that time as i have flashed myself a couple of times because of this.

tbh do what putin says

I got given a basic cigweld one once. It's okish for mig, semi-okish for dc tig, but randomly goes dark/light on a.c.tig.

Welding all day even on stick/mig, my eyes would be real tired at the end of the day.

Bought a Miller digital elite big screen jobbie, was $400 odd, but never regretted it.

The Miller helmets are actually Otos helmets but branded with Miller's logo. Otos is a Korean company and the quality of the helmets is very very good in every aspect including comfort and adjustability and of course the lens itself.  I have an Otos Chameleon and despite having a new speedglas with a flip up grind shield I still use the Otos heaps. Anyway if you google Otos chameleon or Otos digital ace you can get some more info on them. Not sure if they're any cheaper without the miller logo but its a good way to avoid all the skulls and flames unless of course you're into that. Pretty sure arc welding supplies in hamilton stock them and Tradezone do also. Oh and one other important thing to consider also is that the Miller/Otos replacement front lens covers are cheap (roughly $4ea) and readily available. Speedglas one's can set you back $30ea in NZ which isnt great if you're doing a lot of stick or flux core.

Welding technology are great to deal with, tell them simon sent you.

They do the otos helmets, that's what I use, can't remember the model but it's referred to as X-mode, x-mode picks up the electromagnetic field or some shit so sunlight doesn't trigger it

I run a Miller Elite. Which is great but everyone else in the workshop uses Servoglass ones which are cheaper but good, with all welding, we have had some for years n years replacement lenses are a good price too which is important.