Nick Ritchie's FR50 build

TimShadboltfan27

soo last night i ended up leaving sparkle's place with almost the entire contents of his shed...

W9y49PI.jpg?1

picked up a pretty sweet 80's spec suzuki FR50. missing quite a few bits which i hope to acquire in the near future.

cant beat the trusty two stroke, cleaned spark plug, cleaned air filter, cleaned carb, adjusted idle slightly and now runs nicely! still dies after quite a while but hopefully a good long ride should bring it back to life.

currently flat back tyre, missing the valve for my compressor to tyre pump so unsure whether deflated or punctured.

GvzsqWb.jpg?1

rusty as fuck, gonna paint a few bits and leave a bit of horrific patina. in the next coming days i plan to give it a birthday, new fluids, plug and source a few parts from good dude Chunky, anyone else with spares let me know! would love to slap an 80cc motor in it if i can get my hands on one.

GHVZQ4d.jpg?1

last rego'd in 93, or is this a wof sticker? doesnt look like the old rego stickers you see on black plates. hopefully this wasn't registered as a motorbike...

plan is to create a boned out QCR inspired moped to terrorise the streets of p naughty with. has anyone done an expansion chamber for one of these? need to maximise dorts! any thoughts or comments fire away!

ive got prettymuch the whole handlebar setup leftover from my build if you need -mines the model before with round headlight. crustywhips the man to see re; exhaust chambers etc.

dying could be carb not refilling? check fuel/vac lines and fuel tap bowl

ps. sweet score

• Like 1

Speaking from experience of myself on sparkles drive this thing does good burnouts, even with flat tyres. We pumped it up, but it's stuffed. Thing runs pretty good, just watch out for the sticky throttle cable, sparkle wound up in the fence / bushes because of it.

• Like 3

turns out the parts guy at city honda is a massive moped/c50 foamer! has an immaculate c90 with ct110 engine. off the showroom floor spec.
anywayz, went in to buy tube for rear wheel, and he ended up selling me his old tyres. some ling long lookin thing on the back, michelin m62 on the front

VEOGyYx.jpg?1

czsVM2o.jpg?1

17x2.75 front, 17x3.00 on the rear. looks much better than the 2.25 original front tyre. the 3 inch on the rear rubs on the lip of the guard cos jdm stance nation as fuck. time to get the file out. 

next will be a good clean up, paint engine covers, side covers and wheels. then pop down to the man at VTNZ and get this puppy legal.

• 1 month later...

so after being shafted with the re-vin process, decided to keep building and just use licence plate from an already registered moped and begin modz

huge tyres looked cool but inevitably were horrible. they rubbed everywhere, hard to get on and off, front tyre was eating away at my speedo cable, not ideal.
slapped the 2.25's back on, made a great difference. top speed increased. no rubbing. the dream.

then came the lows

FUmmIPr.jpg?1

v pleased with end result.
eJkuLLL.jpg?1

took indicators off cos in all honesty they do fuck all, and it looks better. scoot goes so much better now without the horrible boaty suspension. 
sui shifter??? trim the seat??? more matte black aussie export????? roger

• Like 1

Pretty sure they dont need vins. You prettymuch just fill in the mr2b and pay the fee? If it was regd as a bike previously then that could possibly be a hurdle but since its only 50cc and been on the road before, its a moped and doesnt need revinning or even an inspection for re rego.

Theres no moped code on the mr2b but its definitely in the computer system.

Nowhere on vtnz etc does it say anything about a re reg check.... Some of them are douches about it though

Rant over.

yeah the old boy told me basically if it hasnt been registered after 1994 when VIN plates were introduced etc then i have to re-register it via alternative documents process. which is kinda shit considering everyone on here describing their experiences being nothing but smooth sailing.

old boy also told me they are cracking down on moped registration, too many cuzzies registering cheap chinese scooters that are much bigger than 50cc as mopeds, meaning now they check everything when re-registering. and to be honest, once i pay the nzta $184 to re-register, on top of registration and the entry certification its more than the scooters worth. if i do get pulled up on it maybe i will, but i cant justify $300 just for a number plate and rego tag