'80S KID Part II: Ed's AW11 SC chit-chat

0R10N

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much pine...... I've always wanted one of these but never managed to procure one, would I be a cunt if I said the only thing that bothers me is the visible wheel weights? Otherwise it is a fine looking automobile, racks and all

So much pine...... I've always wanted one of these but never managed to procure one, would I be a cunt if I said the only thing that bothers me is the visible wheel weights? Otherwise it is a fine looking automobile, racks and all

Cheers!

Nah, it bothers me as well, but I bought them like that. One day I'll refurbish the wheels and move the weights, it's not a huge deal right now.

HAH, not even! It hasn't been reposted on eleventy million blogs and I don't have Speedstanceworks all up in my grille asking for my life story or tips on how I got to be yolo swaggins.

It's an odd sign of the times when something that was once as mundane and ugly as a roof rack is suddenly considered a fashion accessory.

What if I just want to take my snowboard up to the mountain once in a while? :)

• Like 1

So a few years ago someone beat me to these hideously rare factory AW11 roof racks which were attached to a wreck at Pick a Part. 

Sorry, that was me. Avondale Pick a Part. Paid something ridiculous like $12. Sold to workmate for $100. :P

Yeah I wasn't going to pull off the C-pillar trims, they're brittle enough as it is (and good luck ever finding new ones). You'd have to be careful as a lot of them rust in behind there and the metal tabs all disintegrate.

Planning not to leave the racks on long-term, or at least pull them off and grease up the fasteners every so often.

• 4 weeks later...

Something horrendous, haha.

Yeah if you squint you can make out all the lovely YN80 Toyota Hilux features (like the gross 3Y-E, dashboard, and doors...) But in typical Japanese fashion some nutter will come along and buy it eventually.

I like the SB1 Civic RS they have. So spendy though.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah you can run SW ones, their 18-19mm from memory??

The manual SC AW ones are 12 or 13 mm from memory and the auto SC AW ones are 14mm

I would think 30mm would be way over kill.

So people think sw20 ones in the rear are over kill.

Ahhh, interesting. I always thought 11mm = N/A, 14mm = SC and it didn't matter if they were auto or manual. The rear swaybar I got from Nick is an 11mm one off his old pre-facelift manual N/A.

Even more confusing is whether Toyota made the swaybars optional after changing the suspension for facelift models, or if they "ran out of stock" like people on forums will tell you. I should have a closer look in the catalogues but it seems strange/unprofessional that if you bought an AW11 brand new after August 1986 it would be some sort of lottery whether you got a rear swaybar or not.

I found a photo of my car on the Internet:

Oxpxelc.jpg

• Like 2