'80S KID Part II: Ed's AW11 SC chit-chat

0R10N

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was pretty careful not to touch that fibreglass, haha.

Rusti - the old plugs are destined for the dustbin but if you can find a use for them they are yours.

I've got a spare one of the early style valley covers (AE86 etc), or are you looking for the later ones which covers over the entire section with a little hole at the end for the leads to go through?

Well I got an early style valley cover (off a bigport 4A-GE) thinking it was the same but no, it's different to the early 4A-GZE one :(

Basically the GZE cover sits "lower" in the valley than the bigport one.

The smallport (later) one doesn't fit either. What a ballache.

• Like 1

Well I got an early style valley cover (off a bigport 4A-GE) thinking it was the same but no, it's different to the early 4A-GZE one :(

Basically the GZE cover sits "lower" in the valley than the bigport one.

The smallport (later) one doesn't fit either. What a ballache.

Didn't know that they were different, that'll be something to add to my 4A-GE encyclopedia.

I had a look on Yahoo! japan and didn't see any on there either.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know that they were different, that'll be something to add to my 4A-GE encyclopedia.

I had a look on Yahoo! japan and didn't see any on there either.

Their pretty much all different, I've got server always copy's of of 4 variations all with different height spark plug seal plates. Let me know if your still looking as I need to get rid of some haha.

Sweet wheels man! Those are too cool!

Their pretty much all different, I've got server always copy's of of 4 variations all with different height spark plug seal plates. Let me know if your still looking as I need to get rid of some haha.

Sweet wheels man! Those are too cool!

Cheers man, the wheels were a pure impulse buy. I always see them for sale in Japan but at ridiculous prices... so when these came up I thought I'd take a punt on them. Wasn't expecting to win but there you go.

It probably helped that the seller listed them with the wrong tyre size, and the leading bidders retracted all their bids as a result.

Now I have to try and figure out what other wheels from my stash I need to sell to recoup costs. Possibly the Enkei Peaks that came off the car, but they are super ugly so I don't think there would be much resale value, will hang on to them and perhaps use them as track/drag strip wheels.

I haven't had any luck finding a replacement GZE valley cover, if you have one for sale I'd be willing to buy it off you.

Cheers man, the wheels were a pure impulse buy. I always see them for sale in Japan but at ridiculous prices... so when these came up I thought I'd take a punt on them. Wasn't expecting to win but there you go.

It probably helped that the seller listed them with the wrong tyre size, and the leading bidders retracted all their bids as a result.

Now I have to try and figure out what other wheels from my stash I need to sell to recoup costs. Possibly the Enkei Peaks that came off the car, but they are super ugly so I don't think there would be much resale value, will hang on to them and perhaps use them as track/drag strip wheels.

I haven't had any luck finding a replacement GZE valley cover, if you have one for sale I'd be willing to buy it off you.

Yeah I saw how much you got them for on the expired page listings, good score! And their pretty different too.

Kind of the same era look I'm trying to achieve with my TOM's racing wheels

You can have them for free. The only thing is my spare ZE ones have been painted wrinkle red with black lettering. If you wanted to strip and re-paint them to factory it wouldn't be hard.

I've got the paint code for 16v cover colour some where in my data stores

And for lettering I actually use nail polish as it's cheap, hard wearing and comes in loads of colours making it easy to get it bang on factory colour

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Roof racks are cheating!

The fun of an MR2 is coming up with ways to work around the lack of space.

With my SW20 I used to jam the nose of a surfboard under the spoiler, and then tie the rear of the board around the roof.  (in a board bag of course)

Have also transported 5 extra wheels and tires. One behind each seat, two on the passenger seat, and one in the frunk.

I can appreciate the gimmick factor of the racks but in my opinion it kills the sleek sort of look of the car. Practicality be damned!

• Like 1

Roof racks are cheating!

The fun of an MR2 is coming up with ways to work around the lack of space.

With my SW20 I used to jam the nose of a surfboard under the spoiler, and then tie the rear of the board around the roof.  (in a board bag of course)

Have also transported 5 extra wheels and tires. One behind each seat, two on the passenger seat, and one in the frunk.

I can appreciate the gimmick factor of the racks but in my opinion it kills the sleek sort of look of the car. Practicality be damned!

Sleek is the last word I would use to describe an AW11, haha.

Angular, now that's a good descriptor. The racks actually add to its peculiar looking stance and a couple of extra angles here and there aren't going to look out of place at all... here's a photo from the internet:

20110425K.jpg

Coming up with methods of transporting lots of stuff in an AW11 is a rite of passage when owning the things. I once moved 12 desktop computers and 6 LCD monitors in one trip, I've taken the passenger side T-top off to transport a tall bookshelf home before, stacked four Recaros on top of the passenger seat, moved two sets of 15" wheels with tyres... the list goes on, lawl.

On the N/A model you can also get away with strapping things to the engine cover. Here's what we once did when there were two of us, the boot was full, and there was no space for the chillybin full of grog:

2377043716_843e1b6066_o.jpg

The next owner of the car (Gareth from GPforums) ended up transporting two of his race wheels to trackday strapped to the engine cover :)

• Like 5