'80S KID Part II: Ed's AW11 SC chit-chat

0R10N

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I've figured out why none of my previous AW11s had rear speakers hooked up... they really mess with the soundstage in such a small cabin. Derp.

Will unplug them tomorrow and hunt around on the 2nd hand market for some new rear quarter trims. Preferably pre-facelift ones, which didn't have speaker holes/grilles from factory for a tidier look.

zVt3v8l.jpg?1

I have for rear trims if you want them.

Also celica front calipers if you want an upgrade.

Still haven't measured those shocks sorry mate, their at about her property where I store stuff and haven't been there since

With or without speaker holes? Definitely keen.

Pass on the calipers but thanks anyway, car stops well enough with brand new pads and discs up front :)

No rush on the shocks, it'll be a while before I start tweaking the car in any real depth.

Oh man, I didn't even notice the Papyrus until you pointed it out Eliot. Now I can't unsee it.

The guys at OCD were a bit apprehensive of going too far, as the paint depth was a bit questionable in parts. The driver's side rear quarter and engine cover are easily the shittiest looking parts of the entire vehicle - typically these areas are affected by the greatest amounts of heat.

So far we have worked out the roof, front guards, front bumper, and bonnet have all had paint touchups in the past, the engine cover and bootlid are still original, and we're not sure about the doors.

At least it gives me a benchmark from which to consider repainting the rest in stages.

I thought so too, but after the rear quarter/spoiler/mirrors were done the panelbeater was fairly confident about getting away with it. Maybe he managed to work out some optimal blend areas. I honestly don't know - maybe I should have asked.

Seems logical to do the engine cover/bootlid/inner C-pillars/other rear quarter in one hit anyway.

At the risk of sounding totally ignorant, of course.

To think midnight blue pearl was my least favourite MR2 colour up until about four years ago (it still isn't my favourite, but I've warmed to it considerably). Also it was pointed out to me recently that I didn't own any blue cars so this rounds off the colour spectrum rather neatly.

Anyway, fuck my life, this just got listed on Kamikaze Auto:

http://toyotacars.kamikaze-drive.com/ktmory2otad220807.htm

Rarest of the rare, white/gold Super Edition hardtop with half-leather, basically the pinnacle of AW11 collectability and only 20,000 yen more than the FOB price I paid for mine. Why didn't this come up for sale six months earlier? :(

MR2022F.jpg

• Like 3