The Effayefiddy Tinker / Build

MKD

Picked up an fa50 after a call from the local scrappy - pays to leave your business cards around haha!!

Real good dude sold it to me for what its worth as scrap - Win! Plus a 6 pack to grease the gears.

So here it is in whats left of its former glory... With older brother behind

20150723_190047_zpsmzene2rv.jpg

Its pretty complete, only missing indies and the key (headlight assembly not on in pic)

Plans are get it going first...then maybe pipe etc. who knows. wooop

• Like 3

First instantly after starting update:

Stack of old keys on the seat dont fit the ignition as hoped...but, can someone with an fa50 tell me if the key slot is lined up with the lights symbol and the ignition word, is it turned on or off??

I'm hoping its turned on and then the keys somehow gone missing, Meaning it'll fire up!(?)

Pull plug lead, give it a kick in the guts. If it sparks you're onto a winner.

If not, its either turned off, or something else is dicked.

Unplug the ignition switch, i believe on bikes of this era (with cdi), when you turn off the key, it grounds out the ignition stopping it from running. So if you unplug ignition, it should run!

Its like that for my H1, my GP and my c50

• Like 2

Ok sweet that a good start point. The loom is cut at the headlight so ill have to reconnect everthing first, all seems to be there. The ignition mount is busted so ill suss out the o'clocks somehow lol i think theres a locating tab on it. Currently the key slot is pointing at the lights symbol if that makes sense (possibly the 2 o'clock posi?)

Theres no filter foam apart from dish sponges haha but ive got the airbox and hose to the carb too. Pulled carb off just before but havent cleaned yet, looks ok at a glance but will give it a good going over

Liking it so far. Stoked

Starts! Actually cant believe it lol. So far all ive done is reconnect the cut wires, clean out the carb which was actually pretty clean, and put what little fuel i had in the mower can it in - like 50mls...one kick on prime then started next kick! Even the headlight still goes lol.

Next is tidy up wiring mess, find a 6v horn, either fix indies or remove them and fix the rear puncture.

With the air cleaner, whats the deal using valve cover breathers instead of the factory one?

Sorry no-pics updates, looks the same though..

• Like 1

you will probs need give it a slight tune if you put one of those breathers on as they bog out if you go too hard on the throttle. i couldn't actually find one big enough for the carb so i ended up buying a super small pod filter for my bike.
seen heaps of people run pod filters on them, theres probably no harm