The Pog's 1965 HumpHer

ThePog

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep stock height or even raise the rear a bit and fit wide white spokies like back in the 80's. And don't flare the guards, just run it rebel. Got a photo somewhere of a mate's Humber 80 with 15x10s on the back and, I think, 13x8s on the front. Should find it and scan it in.  

I bought a company and the owner had never knowingly thrown anything away, This is some of that stuff.

Everytime a bit of the workshop gets cleaned we find something interesting, last time it was a complete virtually brand new laser level set and an insinkerator. I have about a dozen gas regulators and the like, and we once threw away 10 broken grinders that were being kept as spare parts, also 3 or 4 broken broom handles. You get the picture.

• Like 2

If you have remote booster i remember hearing an old mechanic tell of how the booster would fill up with fluid and with the engine off you would get about one pump from it before the pedal went hard.  The smoke smelled bad, doubt your suspected leak would not be this bad though but yeah, could be something to check.

Yea it is remote, I will check once it is all bled and left overnight. I am guessing this might only show up with a bad leak tho.

I have potentially found another car for parts, so if the booster in that is ok I might swap them out to see.

So Jones told me to keep an eye on the brake fluid, I though this was a slow leak or something but it is directly proportional to the amount of use.

I realised this when the pedal went to the floor when i hopped in this morning, so a bleed is on the cards for tomorrow.

Jones has chased this issue and replaced everything with new or recon parts except for a couple of the hard lines. There are no obvious leaks, but the shit disappears pretty quick.

He had the vac booster rebuilt when he got the car, and my theory is that this is leaking a tiny bit and sucking fluid through when vacuum is applied - then getting burned in the engine.

Any other theories before I start chasing this?

Fluid loss with no sign of a leak points to a leaking pushrod seal in your Girling Powerstop, (booster), the fluid will be accumulating in the rear vacuum chamber (as mounted on the car). The chances are that it hasn’t been drawn through the motor; if it had you would have noticed the dense, white smoke!

Pull the plastic vacuum inlet check valve out of the rubber grommet and poke your finger or a bit of wire into the vacuum chamber, if it comes out with any brake fluid on it you have a pushrod seal issue (very common with these boosters). If it is leaking get the booster out of the car and stripped down asap, the brake fluid will eventually take out the vacuum diaphragm.

• Like 1

Well then, the plot thickens. Firstly, when i tried to park it in my shed the first time it was dusk so visibility was marginal. I tried to back it in but the gravel slope was not helping, plus it started to piss out what looked like steam or white smoke. I then got it in forwards and the smoke cleared up on the flat.

At the time I asked Jones and it had happened to him also, he thought the valve seals were worn and the oil pooling in the head when on a slope was the cause, meh I thought, no biggie...

I talked to him just now about it with my theory and he says the smoke thing started about the same time the brake fluid disappearance started.

I would bet money the booster is the culprit in all of this. Funnily enough one of the things we found in the workshop appeared to be a remote booster, I gave this to Alex/yoeddynz a couple of weeks ago thinking I would never have a use for something like that. I asked the previous owner of the business/hoarder what it was and he said it was off his MGB and was working fine when he took it off....

So Alex has kindly agreed to give it back to me, even if I swap it out as a temporary measure while I fix the original that will be extremely useful....

LOL, looks like you're on to it - don't say I didn't warn you about the white smoke!  :-D

I spent a lot of time on boosters in the late 70's and early 80's, let me know if you need any help.

• Like 2