The Pog's 1965 Humber Super Duper Snipe

ThePog

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I drove this around a bit in the weekend, my man warned me that it will attract old men like flies on shit. Literally the first time I stop in a public venue an old man in his eighties wanders up. They are like fucking zombies attracted to fresh meat... not very fast but extremely intent on the purpose at hand. They love them old Humbers for sure.

No issues so far, it runs like a dream. The steering is probably the worst bit, it needs a fair amount of positive input. My mate reckons that it is just how it is, but i imagine some loving to the steering box and checking the geometry might help. It is not that bad really, but it would be nice to improve things.

Intent this week is to fix up the rust under the bumper and the gearbox mounts then try for a wof.

That is all.

• Like 6

Right. So I removed the back bumper today to look at the rust that was there;

IMG_20150729_155154_800x600_zpsuxmi8pov.

IMG_20150729_155147_800x600_zpsyljmjgzz.

Kindof ugly but not too bad. Water has got in through the trailer light plug and sat in a trap all the way along that seam.

Shortly afterwards;

IMG_20150729_162858_800x600_zpslcxmekcu.

IMG_20150729_164439_800x600_zpscgbe2m8m.

IMG_20150729_164442_800x600_zpsnq5h8s1x.

So I have rust converted everything in there and will start welding tomorrow. The only hassle is that there is a seam at the ends of where I cut that has lead filler, this might make that area a bit problematic. We will see.

Edit; I am digging the debumpered look. Seriously thinking of removing all the chrome now.

• Like 1

Did a bit more today, welded the bottom panel to the inner one. I started making the patch panel but it was getting dark and i started rushing, so I stopped. The patch is just some 25x3 angle, but it will reform the lip perfectly, and tuck upwards behind the rusty bit. This means I will get a full bead of weld along the top and bottom. I cleaned out the lead as much as I could but I expect I will need to bog at least some of it which is unfortunate. I also wedged a bit of steel up behind the trailer connection hole and filled that up.

IMG_20150730_165915_800x600_zpsgcjrnnqy.

IMG_20150730_165918_800x600_zpsrqrgquq1.

• Like 4

So Jones told me to keep an eye on the brake fluid, I though this was a slow leak or something but it is directly proportional to the amount of use.

I realised this when the pedal went to the floor when i hopped in this morning, so a bleed is on the cards for tomorrow.

Jones has chased this issue and replaced everything with new or recon parts except for a couple of the hard lines. There are no obvious leaks, but the shit disappears pretty quick.

He had the vac booster rebuilt when he got the car, and my theory is that this is leaking a tiny bit and sucking fluid through when vacuum is applied - then getting burned in the engine.

Any other theories before I start chasing this?

Well then, the plot thickens. Firstly, when i tried to park it in my shed the first time it was dusk so visibility was marginal. I tried to back it in but the gravel slope was not helping, plus it started to piss out what looked like steam or white smoke. I then got it in forwards and the smoke cleared up on the flat.

At the time I asked Jones and it had happened to him also, he thought the valve seals were worn and the oil pooling in the head when on a slope was the cause, meh I thought, no biggie...

I talked to him just now about it with my theory and he says the smoke thing started about the same time the brake fluid disappearance started.

I would bet money the booster is the culprit in all of this. Funnily enough one of the things we found in the workshop appeared to be a remote booster, I gave this to Alex/yoeddynz a couple of weeks ago thinking I would never have a use for something like that. I asked the previous owner of the business/hoarder what it was and he said it was off his MGB and was working fine when he took it off....

So Alex has kindly agreed to give it back to me, even if I swap it out as a temporary measure while I fix the original that will be extremely useful....

So things are happening, but I have encountered difficulties. As sr2 is clearly the man who knows I have messaged him thus;

'Hi sr2, I have a question if that is ok. I took the old servo off the humber and as expected it was full of fluid..

Now I have fitted the MG servo and the brakes feel and work pretty well, however.... When I first put the servo on I messed up the reaction diaphragm position and there was a horrendous air leak into the system - the brakes locked on (in hindsight this was entirely expected). I sorted that and put the diaphragm back correctly, but the brakes are still slowly getting more pressure in the system and grabbing.

I have checked the reaction piston is moving freely and the reaction diaphragm is seated correctly. I have also put hose clips on the pipe from the reaction stuff to the main chamber. I have also checked for air leaks with a tube. After the engine is off, the system holds vacuum pretty well, you can crack the air valve and it is clearly still under vacuum in there.

What else should I be looking for?'

The first drive was great, but then I got fully locked up brakes with the nose poking out onto the road which was lols for my neighbors driving past.

Pics;

IMG_20150808_132901_800x600_zpstv0hu0ed.

Mars Likes it

IMG_20150808_130457_800x600_zpsuy3otrnq.

Servo goes here;

IMG_20150808_132926_800x600_zpsmseylht8.

As if by magic;

IMG_20150808_142545_800x600_zpsz3egyfsn.IMG_20150808_142533_800x600_zps2k2gth20.

• Like 1

Fruitful discussions with the very helpful Mr sr2, it looks like the control valve is not moving freely right up and down the bore, and probably holding up the control diaphragm in the wrong place.

You may recall the control piston was stuck in there, I hydraulic'd it out as part of the install today, but clearly did not clean the bore up nearly enough.

Tomorrow will tell us some things.

Took the servo off, I figured I had better go through it again and make sure I had not bolloxed something more obvious

IMG_20150809_153645_800x600_zpshdodf3bz.

Then I cleaned up the bore of the control piston with some 1500 grit and a pencil modified for the job of flappy holder thingy;

IMG_20150809_153639_450x600_zps7jlbequh.

That little arrow head thing is probably the issue, it is not moving up and down it's bore and letting the vacuum equalise with no brakes applied.

There were some minor other things - There was a circlip that was maybe supposed to be holding the piston in (but wasn't there when I pulled it apart), I put one in but the extra stack height between that and the vac chamber had caused a washer thingy to deform a bit, so I left it out. Stuff cannot go anywhere anyway so i think this is better. I also replaced the bolt that clamped the two halves of the vac bit together as this was a bit stripped and probably not letting it seal 100%.

I mounted it all back in the car but ran out of time and brake fluid, so bleeding will need to wait for another day.

If this does not work I might need to look at sorting the old servo.

Some fucking bullshit now, I bled the brakes, shit is still grabbing on.

So I thought I would check out the other, old servo, had about half a liter of fluid in it. For lols when I pulled the vac stuff off the cylinder, the whole lot shot out across my dark and nook laden shed.

Fucking fuck.

I have collected all the bits and compared it to an exploded diagram and I think I have it all....

• Like 1

I have pulled the master cylinder and there is nothing obviously wrong, it was new a couple of years ago so should be fine.

However, the yoke that hooks up to the pedal was cut off the old one and welded to the new pushrod. I am guessing that it was made a wee bit long and so is not returning enough to release the seal to the reservoir - this is the only thing I can think of bar a problem with the seal itself.

I will check many things then put it back together.

• Like 1

It has brakes now, it turns out i could have solved it in 3 mins by adjusting the stop on the brake pedal. Oh well.

I ordered Sidewaysickness to remove my gearbox mount cos he is my little bitch.

That lump was an engine mount once.

IMG_20150814_164652_800x600_zpsezroonjk.

IMG_20150814_164659_800x600_zpsfudphez0.

I shot into town and with minutes to spare managed to get some suitable isolation mounts that I will put in place of that pile of non-specific shite.

Also these are sandwiched between the gearbox mount and the body, Such a British solution to the problem of the gearbox mount sitting too high, why not change the mount itself?

IMG_20150814_164711_800x600_zpslnultifu.

Anyway, gearbox mounts should be sorted tomorrow, then i shall finally crack on with finishing the rust repairs.

Then I check gearbox fluid levels and take it for a warrent.

Then I see if the front seats wont fold backwards and provide me a lush leather bed for Hanmer.

Then we see about some slam.

• Like 6

Righto, gearbox mounts.

The most suitable ones I could find were about 10mm shorter than I wanted so I thought some packers were in order.

IMG_20150815_103127_800x600_zpskctqsqst.

Also there was probably not going to be enough room behind there for an M10 nut once I had drilled the holes...

IMG_20150815_103113_450x600_zpsyrrjhmdl.

So then I thought this could happen;

IMG_20150815_103132_800x600_zpsveqetguj.

IMG_20150815_105243_800x600_zps9nrckwfv.

IMG_20150815_105247_800x600_zpsnzrz9d7u.

IMG_20150815_110839_800x600_zps2arejpdh.

IMG_20150815_111833_800x600_zpsehjlypg3.

Sweet.

It was a bit difficult to get them positioned in the holes cos of the angles but brute force was the way here.

And after quite a considerable amount of fucking about with alignment tools and hammers etc I had this;

IMG_20150815_142106_800x600_zpstmukjbu0.

A quick test drive showed no discernible improvement in the ride, but it is more likely to get a warrant now.

Late edit; I should have thought about it some more and not welded the spacers on, drilled and tapped another hole in the center of the spacer and just bolted them to the existing hole in the mount. Bit late now and that shit should outlast me anyway. It will be years before it needs more loving.

• Like 6

Weldy weldy

IMG_20150816_165437_800x600_zpscd9pw3br.

IMG_20150816_173507_800x600_zpsa955vmn5.

Cleaned that up today and applied a bit of filler. It was weird filler with stainless fibers in it that Sidewaysickness had lying around unused. It had still not gone off properly after a couple of hours so I reckon tomorrow I might be chipping that shit off and applying normal stuff.

Found the transmission dipstick underneath the carpet behind a hatch, will check the levels when it is warm one day.

Inching closer to a wof.

• Like 6

Tidied that shit up as much as I could given my lack of care for shiny things, its hidden by the bumper mostly so like, whatevs;

IMG_20150820_171450_800x600_zpsaufcnoup.

So it went for a warrant today..... and failed :(

Top front suspension arm bushes on one side are fucked, need to press that shit out and find something to replace them with, I am investigating many many possible options, but it might get difficult.....

IMG_20150821_172546_800x600_zpsfos1qscm.

As you can probably tell, the car is immobile right now...

So yea it does get difficult...

Went in to work to press out the bushes today, I had a quick go and it was super obvious that both bushes needed to be pressed out at the same time, hence I needed to support between the actual collars so i didn't munter the A arm.

My first go at a support - this was clearly going to crush the A arm, so I had another go which was way more successful.

IMG_20150822_102605_576x768_zpsdcuqzg4c.

IMG_20150822_104418_576x768_zpsymux4yfg.

And this is the unfortunate result, the trunion ends are threaded, the bushes are solid and threaded to fit onto the trunion, and at one end both the bush and thread are completely fucked.

IMG_20150822_110156_576x768_zpstcuo9gyz.

I can get this assembly brand new, but it is out of the Netherlands and unlikely to arrive before the end of the week.

So I just missioned out to just north of Nelson where my nice WOF man had told me there was a Humber sitting in a paddock, I found it and then found the owner, who understood but didn't want to part it out... but he thought he might have a spare front subassembly lying around and said he knew of someone in Blenheim that had a whole lot of Humber parts and would try and find his details.

Might be a bit of a stretch tho, so I might be driving the work ute to Hanmer, at least there will be room for a couple of bikes now.

Alternately one of you GC's needs to find me a good passenger side top A arm off a Super Snipe or a Humber Hawk and post it to me STAT.

• Like 2