5x114.3 stud pattern to 5x108 - ways it can be done? (Better wheel choices?)

Swampo

Aloha guys just trying to figure out ways I can change the PCD of my car from 5x114.3 to 5x108?

Why? Because I drive a car that shares the "poor man's Ferrari" moniker with the Fiat Coupe, and it shares "hairdresser" with many other cars too...

I have an '91 Toyota MR2 (SW20) and after a long time of gazing at other cars and articles and such I've decided I want a "period correct" look which kind of goes after the poor man's Ferrari theme but without going too 90s JDM or 70s-80s i.e. Watanabes and Yayois. I think the car really doesn't do the JDM tuner look well and poor mans Ferrari is what I want to do, however I won't be fitting any crazy bodykits. Looks wise I just plan on colour matching my black rubber trim and fitting some sweet 5 spoke wheels with sticky rubber.. 

Note - perfect fitment has been suggested to me as:

Front: 17x8 +35 offset and 215/40R17

Rear: 17x9 +35 offset and 245/35R17

- Wider tyres needed at rear because more weight is at rear and it maintains better traction. Staggered is the way to go for this particular car but some run normal 17x8 all over but personally due to my novice skill level I'd go with staggered.

I originally wanted some HRE 505M's, but can't justify buying a set that will cost over 4x what I paid for my car - especially when said car is an NA daily driver and may see occasional track use.

PICS: http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/vintage-series/505m

Would buy some of these:

http://www.superformance.co.uk/348/wheels.html

http://www.superformance.co.uk/308/wheels.html

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=volvo+940+70168&rlz=1C1CHJW_enNZ479NZ479&espv=2&biw=1570&bih=851&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIqZCJlc7oxgIVQeSmCh12QwAa

Then there's the issue of getting offset and wheels in the right widths (9-10" rear is a problem)

Do I go with spacers, possibly get the fenders flared or "pumped" professionally, wheel adapters, or just put up and go with some 5x114.3s?

(I personally would go three spoke ADVAN as I like those more than the thin 5 spokes of today, chunkier ferrari-like 5 spokers have gone out of fashion IMO). 

Pretty sure ive seen wheels like this have pop up on tardme when looking for wheels for my falcon (5 x 114.3).

Keep an eye out and you will find some. Spacers and stuff are shit. Dont do it.

Good idea, will set the money aside. I suppose I will have to check regularly as something is bound to pop up

Autostrada Modena are the closest ive seen to what I want in my PCD. 

If anyone knows of any similar 5 spokes made in 5x114.3, please let me know.

Beaten to the Modena call. They will look the biz on an SW20 too, period correct even! Plus 3 piece so you can get barrels made up to suit the car perfectly.

Put a WTB advert on the Japanese wheel classifieds NZ Facebook page and I bet you'll find someone with some for sale.

• Like 3

Someone said MR2 + Advan tri spoke? I have that exact setup. SA3R, front in those exact specs, rears are 9 at +38. Personal opinions, dont run 35 profile rears. It'll be quite incomfortable. Would probably sell them too cos I dont need that many sets lol.

Is your car lowered? 215 fronts may rub the inner wheel well.

Oh and stick with 114.3, there's tons of wheels around!

• Like 1

3 piece barrels? What are barrels? And because they are 3 piece the middles move independently right like "spinners" or SSR Longchamps?

Will definitely check that page out cheers

+35 offset is uncomfortable at rear in what way, Wannabe?

Not lowered, stock suspension and stock gen1 14s :( lol

What?

A three piece wheel is comprised of the centre or face and a barrel, the barrel has a front and a back.

The barrel is sometimes bolted together and the face bolted to the front and sometimes the face is sandwiched between the barrels.

Sometimes the barrels are welded together, sometimes they're glued.

Sorry not offset, was meaning tire profile. Uncomfortable in terms of ride, as it becomes quite jarring.

Probably would want to run a spacer if you are set on 215 fronts. My tires rubbed on the inner wheel well running 215/40s on full lock. Got 205s now and can get full lock with no rubbing.

3 piece barrels? What are barrels? And because they are 3 piece the middles move independently right like "spinners" or SSR Longchamps?

So a 3 piece rim make up it inner barrel, centre, outer barrel. The centre does not move as its bolted to the hub etc, but CAN be moved with new barrels either side to what ever offset you see fit.

And because they are 3 piece the middles move independently right like "spinners" or SSR Longchamps?

I hehehe'd

Also, just chiming in because [sw20 owners thread]

We've got a gen 1, faded red, targa top, auto SW20. The worst iteration of an MR2 ever made.

Still fun to drive though :D

If you want to keep driving an MR2 for any length of time, just save the money and get a gen 3.

Better car in every possible way.

Red gen 1/2 NA SW20 is a poor mans MR2, not a poor mans Ferrari :P

• Like 2