azzurro's 1966 FIAT Duamilatrecento Familiare (2300 Wagon)

azzurro

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• azzurro

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Havnt done much with this while ive been playing with the ute, except drive it to monthly meets.

Here it is with another sweet torsion bar suspension vehicle at the october meet

Y7V0Uf.jpg

these flippin sweet sweet pics from the november one thanks to @MichaelJFox on his Rolleiflex

7sLMjm.jpg

KOiTpG.jpg

and on the way to the december meet it ran out of gas despite the gauge saying half full until the AA man put $20 of 95 in and it dropped to under a 1/4.

ekgbSK.jpg

Once rolling again it was too late to make it to Mt Wellington So we had a solo MEAT at Lincoln Rd 

0WtTfi.jpg

MEAT!

• Like 9

• 3 months later...

This is being a boring and reliable work horse

hv11nm.jpg

imDstf.jpg

3cDCCi.jpg

VPnyD3.jpg

On the way home from BF meet above, the LF brake got a bit draggy and hot and it is due for a WoF, so time for a bit of a service.

ksgPa8.jpg

Turned out one of the 3 NEW! brake cylinders in a caliper was a bit rusty and got jammed so it got a clean out (rust came off with a copper brush) and rebuild with lots of rubber grease (which i didn't know of when i built them!). The other three probably need the same treatment. No photos becasue my hands were covered in brake fluid.

I also installed the Fiat 1500 water pump pulley a dude from Aussie sent me randomly (thanks bro!) so i could replace the sketchy one i made from cutting and welding two std 124 ones together, and a new belt.

4kdgKu.jpg

I pcked up a timing tab thing from a bargain bin at a swap meet and chucked it on - the engine only has a TDC mark -  no advance markings so this will be nice to have a better idea on ignition timing (factory says 6 deg BTDC at idle, i run it around 10 (i think!) )
UoKwzE.jpg

Gave it an oil change and cleaned out the centrifugal filter. This is a 'later' engine and also has a modern style oil filter under the inlet manifold that as far as i can tell does almost nothing at all as its one the low pressure return side from the head. I swapped that  anyway with one from the pile i got from RoackAuto for like $1.20 each + shipping

Also swapped out my very nice (and very expensive @ 65 Euro!) NOS Magnetti Marelli dizzy cap because its got a bloody crack in it leaking all the sparks electricity out, so its back on the crusty one from the car at Smash Palace that works better than the off-brand cheap but new one i had spare, so will do untill i splash out on another NOS one from ebay :(

BQVqOf.jpg

Still has holes in the secondary pipes (so no Wof untill sorted)  so im gonna take the opportunity to get them extended down the car a bit more - any suggestions for a good exhaust shop out west?

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Had a bit of wind on Tuesday night, max gust of 218kph recorded at Manukau Heads (30km to the sw) which is one of the highest wind speeds ever recorded in NZ, and a local home weather station station recorded 188kph and 185kph gusts, with 100kph average for a period of 3 hrs. Scary stuff!

Anyway, the 'temporary' shelter station id rigged up couldn't quite jangle that much energy, and collapsed onto the wagon! 

There is no damage i can see, its all strapped down onto the roofrack.

mZQBX3.jpg

You can see how the arches have snapped/bent on the leeward side, it was literally blown flat.
mhTa8N.jpg

All four of the upright 'feet' have been torn out of the baseplate which is dynaboilted to the driveway.
TF1Lsr.jpg

3 large Karo trees fell onto the garden shed 
FnYuGD.jpg

Ute is fine but stuck in this position til i dismantle the carport.
6YVEMo.jpg

No other damage thankfully but cleaning up all the trees and stuff will eat into my car time,..

• Like 8
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last few weeks ive been fiddling with this between rain showers.

Starting my using my special tool Ap. 5030/7 for ignition timing inspection:

kXFIHa.jpg

The photo above is after adjusting it back form about 14deg (not a bad eyeball!)  rather than 12deg, using the adjusting wheel on the dizzy :)

However all in advance is significantly more than the 36deg max shown on the tool, so might have to look at limiting that in the dizzy.

Gave it a quick wash, needs a proper polish and wax and some cavity and underbody wax .

CntBRh.jpg

Assumed the position
9jGa4p.jpg

When i picked it up from storage i had to clean out the carb of fine brown grit.

This was the fuel filter, pretty sure its rust from the lines or tank, but it was not new and could have been from itself?

Either way, well over due.

DVcciX.jpg

Chucked one of these electric fuel pumps in, same as the ute, mainly to to save cranking for ages when its been sitting while the mechanical diaphragm pump sucks gas up from the tank

z04Qff.jpg

2qQqsq.jpg

This is the cheap fuel filter after about 10 minutes (you can see the e-pump above it) .

However its not got any worse than that after a lot more idling etc, so I might  put the nice new K&N replaceable filter glass one in soon.

• Like 9

Last* Wof fix job, the exhaust is chuffing (again)

Lots of holes around the Y joiner

4bN2k2.jpg

Ive been here before
bgXN3T.jpg

And i wasnt the first
QCiQWP.jpg

rest of it not much better, ive cobbled this together with left overs and junk, and the rest is squashed and crunchy.

DnHudh.jpg

Time for something better

qT5OuZ.jpg

The Abarth 2300S exhaust (second from bottom) is long twin pipe to a single over the diff then back into a twin tip. 

I6s apparently like having a long separation between the 2 groups of 3 cylinders, so lets do that too.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Jaysus, over a year since i last updated this thread!

As detailed in the thread below, a couple of months after my last post we got notice from our long term landlord that were finally going to come back and renovate their small bach we had been living in for the last 13 years! 

We knew we would never get such a sweet gig in Auckland ever again, so Plan D (that had been bubbling for a few years in anticipation of this) was implemented and I got a good job on fairly short notice to commence in 2 months  in Dunedin. Yay, but OMG so much to organise and sort.

Cars went onto storage not far from Muriwai and we moved down to a short fixed term rental, and managed to have an offer accepted house on Christmas Eve Eve, but not moving in till Early Feb. Then Covid and yadda yadda, eventually got them all moved down via transporter company in late August.

Fleet in storage in Waimauku. Covers off for the first time in a year.

Covid fucked my plan to do a roadie with some buddies back in March 2020, when they still had WoFs :] and in August finally managed to get back up to the 09 to get them running so they could go on a truck 

24SHeG.jpg

All running after replacing ALL the batteries and some minor fuel/carb issues (Gaffer whos place they were at tried to start them up but then left them connected :(

vy5E8f.jpg

qFURJ8.jpg

So Handsome!
G0t7hi.jpg

ZCZ2OF.jpg

On the small truck one by one to the Mangere yard before being loaded on the Linehaul
YPY6Nn.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 years later...