azzurro's 1966 FIAT Duamilatrecento Familiare (2300 Wagon)

azzurro

Bit more progress, only fiddly stuff now that takes ages and looks like not much

Installed the front seat, its very comfy and I did make brum brum noises. Id been putting it off to make it easier to move around inside etc, but all that stuff is pretty much done.

Its not perfect but the sprung base and sliders are in much better nick than the brown one, but the brown cover is probably better. I will use the brown one for a pattern eventually, meanwhile i have a Mexican blanket ready to go.

xYE9eF.jpg

Also found some more treasure in the bottom of the junk in the front footwell of the parts car when i tidied it out to remove the seat, the  red tunnel carpet i used had the wee hole for the flap already so it must be from a deluxe too. My tunnel also had the screw holes already, but i cant imagine why someone would have remove it and then put the brown carpet back in over the top?

1p6Odv.jpg

the  red tunnel carpet i used had the wee hole for the flap already so it must be from a deluxe too. My tunnel also had the screw holes already, but i cant imagine why someone would have remove it and then put the brown carpet back in over the top?

xHy4w8.jpg

Deluxe level ACHIEVED!
pAKhaF.jpg

Other than the bloody windscreen all i really need to sort out now is electrics, and only thing giving me gyp still is the headlights.

The PO had undertaken some hackery to work around the broken column switches (3 position switch in the dash for the indicators AND a foot switch for the lights), and my replacement column switch colours (that i  also broke the switches out of)  dont line up with the car, nor does the car quite line up with the wiring diagrams i have.

On the upside im really good at playing pick-a-path/mazes now.

QE7zkc.jpg

This is from (as far as i can tell) 1961 version of the FSM Titled "1800 with 1800 and 2100 engine, 1800B -2300" , i have seen other (?later) versions with '2300 Special' on the cover that might have the diagram im looking for - any one got one, and happy to send me a high res version :) 

There is one on trademe at the mo ($96, lol), also there is one in a Takaka Op Shop for $15, apparently ex-this very vehicle! CASH MONEY PAID FOR THAT BOOK!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• azzurro

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Few more little annoying and fiddly things done, list is getting very small now, pretty much

- sort out windscreen,
- get keys made for the external locks
- wet sand/buff/polish the paint
- start test driving

not necessarily in that order

Borrowed my neighbours compression tester again, 1, 2 and 6 are really good, 3, 4, and 5, ahh not so much.

72iNyy.jpg

3 is definitely the worst - 0-30psi cold even with extra oil in the cylinder, and it idles like its on 5 and removing #3 lead the least difference at idle but the engine does smooth out with some revs.

This showed up as 3 4 and 5  that had much better pressure when the engine revved a bit - Hope i wasn't just measuring crank case pressure  :shock: 

Will just try for a few longer runs soon and just maybe a bit of actual driving might sort it out

I lapped the valves when I had the head off, a couple looked like they could have been replaced, but lapped up ok.

I should have pulled the pistons out in retrospect, but all the bores looked good and I dint have bearings (also looked good - oil pressure is fine) or rings at the time.

Best case, valve timing improves the compression, and a bit more hot running loosens the rings

Worst case I get to pull it out, strip it down again and install the NOS rings I now have + new valve guides (with proper seals) and new bearings and...and ....

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more polishing/sanding runs and putting the last of the bling on, looks nice out in the sun for a change

rdxfEi.jpg

The short drive and out of the shed confirms the engine has to come out, it starts and revs ok, idles away, quiet tappets, but blowby is silly, just steamy/smoking out the engine bay and a good coaster sized blob of oil under the bell housing (that only leaks when engine is running).

Lesson learned - i should have pulled it completely apart to check and clean properly when i had the sump of the first time, i checked the bores and a couple of bearings and just assumed :!: .

So good timing for the main parts needed turned up from Mr Fiat ,Headgaskets x2, rear main seal (x2) and some random coolant hoses to buff out the shipping.

I already have a set of std NOS rings i found cheap on ebay.

uMv2JJ.jpg

IN winscreend news, AALAWS put me onto a chap  who can get  Screens made new (custom tinted) from a place in the UK for ~$500-650 which seems fair, BUT + ~$2200 for custom crate, insurance, shipping, GST and etc. Chucking even one additional screen in would halve the landed per unit cost, but even then its still $1800 bucks and a 12 week wait :(

Fingers crossed for a NOS or second hand one a bit closer to home. I will try an actual phone call to the big windscreen warehouse places as their 'contact us' forms dont seem to generate any responses, but i have sent a rough template off too a guy who knows a guy with a shed full of old FIAT screens (amongst other stuff).

I need to do some work on the 125 for drag day/wof , and have a big tidy out the lockup for a shuffle around( get the parts wagon in and parts 125 out stripped and off to the scrappers), so i dont think i will make too much more substantive  progress on this for a while as im waiting to find a screen anyway and at least its complete, looks cool, and can move itself around.

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

This week I've been disconnecting stuff and finally got the box and engine out today.

RZpGWj.jpg

Pulled the head off complete and got into the bottom end to see whats up with low compression on 3.

Err, that'll do it! An average of slightly greater than one broken ring per piston...

nH1rOq.jpg

(piston 6->1)

Anyway, other than a broken ring on almost every cylinder (and all 3 on 3!), the bottom end seems good, if a bit grubby.

- all original STD sized bearings, big ends look like new, mains have some slight wear (engine had excellent oil pressure)

- all original pistons, on piston 6 the first compression ring groove is a bit splayed, i guess from the broken ring, other pistons seem ok.

- cylinders all look really good with no lipping, apart from some horizontal lines halfway down most cylinders but esp cylinder 4 (probably from water sitting on the ring when it was parked up), and the odd vertical score that i can just feel with my fingernail.  

Ideally it needs a rebore and upsized pistons, decked block etc , but I have been looking for new pistons (in any size) since i got the car and no luck to date.

As i have a couple of sets of std piston rings 'in stock' I will probably just give the cylinders a quick wazz with a flexi-hone, give it a good clean and put it back together with new rings, maybe main bearings and big ends if i can find them, but i might just keep collecting bits as i find them for a proper rebuild 'one day', cause im quite keen to actually drive this bloody thing, and the Kumeu Hot Rod Show is in January.

Also 125 got a WoF, so that's summer driving sorted, and OldSchool Drag Day on the 10th December :)

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the starter apart, all seems pretty good, other than the odd-man-out bush which should explain the intermittent issues - hole is slightly different so i think someone put 3 (of 4) new bushes in at some point, or one was busted and they only had an old spare or something

tjRvy7.jpg

Rebuild kit for the DCD turned up so that got a refresh too, not that there was much wrong with it but new bits cant hurt.

ZcTzSu.jpg

Ive managed to heft the gear box in too, so will continue to assemble the engine bay this week, excepting the starter, pending a delivery of new bushes and a few other little things (smashed a few senders getting the engine out) which will hopefully arrive before xmas.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

More fiddling, while being distracted by this (great for surf checks!):

Gcq676.jpg

Adjusted Tappets, its significantly quieter, but the video seems to amplify any ticks.:

R0Ar1w.jpg

Added another earth between battery/chassis mount and alternator bracket and collected a SS and Points Regulator each from the engine bay of each fiat...

QmXEaQ.jpg

This small video is trying the last known 'good' SS one (small black one) from the 125 which also demonstrates how this eventually 'fixed' the voltage creep... 

Will take it for another drive tomorrow and see what happens

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Catch Up post:

Shake Down Run to Oldschool.co.nz burgers meet in town last night, where it was pretty well received :)

Car went great, feeling pretty confident about the tip to Featherston next week (JINX!)

nZsk3A.jpg

bRdkNr.jpg

pkO2Jz.jpg

8lFHFX.jpg

Photo Credit to:
Dorian (DCG Photography)
https://www.facebook.com/pg/DCGPhotographyNZ/photos/?tab=album&album_id=505248416265912

Guy With Aviators
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45457939@N08/sets/72157678363759483/with/33428289802

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Since getting back from nats Ive been poking away at the inevitable list of (small) jobs on this.

When we got home, this was sitting on the step.

I love a bargain, I got this lot for $20 + shipping (which was only another $22!)

in typical fashion I could have used a few of these bits (starter pinion, alternator end cap with bushes, diff seals, radiator hoses, tie rod ends, exhaust hanger, brake hoses) a while ago, but ho hum, spares are good.

vKj3oE.jpg

WINDSCREEN LEAK

Windscreen has a pretty bad leak. It is worse when its sitting. (meaning its not coming up off the wheels)   

kZzOhU.jpg

qth6e7.jpg

Bit gutted i didnt check it and poo it up properly before i put the surrounds on as the trim clips are a serious pain to get off and i did not what to crack the screen again.
3/4 of a tube of windcreeen sealer in and around it havnt quite got it drip free, but good enough now on the inside.

However, the outside now looks gak :(

UbkUt6.jpg

KEYS

Car also only came with a (replacement) ignition key so the doors and boot (from another car, also no key) couldnt be fully locked (or unlocked!).
Door handles were also a bit loose and it all needed a clean up.

I did find that my trusty old Club lock fitted into the key way, so removed the locked and rearranged the lock pins till this happened:

Yay! Can actually lock the bugger. And best of all FREE!

Also tidied and lubed up all the mechanisms and reinstalled the handles including the boot with some sealant behind the gaskets, and adjusted all the doors and they are way better.

• Like 4