Friendlyfire's 2nd Chevette SR20

So i ended up buying another Chevette at the start of this year. 

You can check out my other Chevette here //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/25371-friendlyfires-chevette-hs-c20xe/#entry643012 which is still sitting in a shed in Nelson as i have now moved to Blenheim. Once i have settled down in Blenheim and have a decent garage, progress will then continue on that one.

So my recent purchase was this lime green chevette (Registered as a Chevanne because it never had rear seats as was used by the post for deliveries) key features of the car is Sr20 engine, gear box, Isuzu Piazza Diff, Steering rack, front brakes.

The car was very rough when i first got it, lots of broken and missing items (indicator stalk, window winders, center console, mirrors, bumpers, rev guage, gearbox leak, front brakes) but all those are easy fixes which have now been repaired.

apart from one thing which i am having a very hard time finding which is the big rubber donut torque tube diff mount everyone that i have tried knows nothing about it and cant get them, the torque tube is isuzu piazza but im sure holden gemini would be the same? so any help with that would be much appreciated. 

The reason behind the purchase is that i finished uni last year and scored myself a sweet job in Blenheim but i didnt have a car on the road at that stage so instead of buying a cheap 90's jap car i decided to go old school as my daily and i  love chevettes so it was a no brainer.

The futures plans for this car is nothing crazy at the moment, will continue to tidy it up and add features to improve quality of life as im driving it each day

This is the car as i got it

IMG_0406_zpsknnq86zr.jpg

IMG_0407_zpsvjc8frsa.jpg

IMG_0408_zpstlcwxzpt.jpg

Stole the springs and wheels off my other chevette as i am not a fan of driving the chevette on 17" wheels which scrape all the time and on springs pretty much touch the bump stops and get crazy bump steer.

IMG_0411_zpsvirlf0ui.jpg

Heres the car after putting on wing mirrors, springs the raise it up, wheels, front and rear bumpers

IMG_0493_zpszmet2uj7.jpg

Father and sons car cruze, went out to marahau to catch up with Alex (yoeedynz)

IMG_0494_zpsmp1tgklk.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress has happened over the weekend.

Bought and installed some new door and boot rubbers from Basis cost $180 for 2 door and boot which i thought was cheap!

IMG_0772_zpszznw2uet.jpg

IMG_0771_zpsueb6utw6.jpg

Installed some mud guards, cause I'm a practical kind of guy

IMG_0774_zpsjurikkag.jpg

Rewired my headlights through relays and installed new bulbs, 100x brighter!

IMG_0785_zpsxtzak9mh.jpg

installed a bonnet strut so i can chop the front plate out of the chevette so i can gain some much needed engine bay room

IMG_0775_zpshixxxkok.jpg

IMG_0776_zpsm6znqlcd.jpg

This is my steering rack CUL8R,  have never seen the casing with the ribs before? maybe its gemini?

IMG_0784_zpsapejdz2e.jpg

• Like 4

Time for new carpet and seats! (my arse is too big for the small bucket seats installed)

IMG_0798_zpswt1kify0.jpg

started by removing the existing seats and cleaning up the floor 

IMG_0797_zpsi3db2etg.jpg

modified seat rails, drivers side one took me a couple of attempts to get it right as i still wanted it to be able to slide but without it causing the seat to sit too high in the car

IMG_0799_zpsqsotov6r.jpg

nothing beats working on your car on a saturday night at work.

IMG_0801_zpsafksxub7.jpg

90% finished product, just need to make a new centre console as the sr20 gearbox is longer and shifter position is further back and a few little interior trimmings to complete the carpet

IMG_0802_zpsljyxvsgc.jpg

• Like 3