Zac's 1998 RX7

ProZac

shit dude, just asking the questions. do you know how many times an issue is something really small. ive never actually had a car break down due to a major failure, its always been something little like that. 

that really fucked me off, but im trying really hard to withhold snarky comments. 

You really should have held your tongue here, grasshopper.

• Like 2

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you're giving me far too much credit! So far Brad's hypothesis that the car is cursed by a dread demon of the lower nine hells is proving accurate. I have naughty NAUGHTY thoughts of excising said demon with link ecu's and single turbo conversions.....

Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket ecu setup that correctly ran the sequential twin turbo system? Not a Power-FC mind you.

• Like 1

Oh, you're giving me far too much credit! So far Brad's hypothesis that the car is cursed by a dread demon of the lower nine hells is proving accurate. I have naughty NAUGHTY thoughts of excising said demon with  my own home made ECU because that is what I am all about and single turbo conversions.....

Megasquirt you say? It's playing on my mind....

I tried checking the timing yesterday with Laura cranking it over for me. Couldn't get the timing light to trigger from the ignition lead. Could be because of the plugs being too fucked, but I had taken them out and cleaned them just before. I'm pretty sure there is a pretty simple modification that can be done to the Optilux timing lights to make them trigger off a low level signal. I'll try and figure it out and them hook directly into the ignitor signal.

Nah, not yet. My compression tester is old and fucked. I've ordered a solid state electronic 150psi pressure sensor from China (Cheap cheap aliexpress special) so I can get a good reading on what the compression is doing. Will just read the value on my scope for now once it arrives, but might make up a proper interface box so people can have a decent cheap rotary compression tester.

Oh, you're giving me far too much credit! So far Brad's hypothesis that the car is cursed by a dread demon of the lower nine hells is proving accurate. I have naughty NAUGHTY thoughts of excising said demon with link ecu's and single turbo conversions.....

Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket ecu setup that correctly ran the sequential twin turbo system? Not a Power-FC mind you.

it kind of defeats the purpose of an aftermarket ecu, if you make it run the sequential twins. The factory ecu does a good enough job for that. Aftermarket ecus suit single turbo conversions. Turbos have come a long way since the nineties and the stock twins really belong in the bin. That said i really like the apexi power fc as it is so simple.

The motor will run on one rotor, it'll sound like shit, but it will run. seriously just grap a regular compression tester, pull the valve out and watch the bounces. i've used the official mazda nz tester and it isn't that much better.

it is easy to unplug the entire engine harness from the ecu and pull the whole thing out, including firewall grommet. I stripped one down to bare wires on sunday, it took about an hour. you will be able to see the harness and any broken wires. all this is assuming you've checked the basics obviously.

• Like 2

Once again puddles, excellent info. I was wondering how integrated to the body looms the ECU looms were in these cars, glad to hear it wouldn't be a major major to whip it out and tidy it up. My normal compression tester is fucked, and making a rotary one will be a fun little side project, but If I strike issues I'll just go get another regular one and do as you have said.

Grabbed a new set of non-platinum (therefore cheaper) plugs this arvo, will have another play tomorrow morning.

I hear what you're saying about turbo tech, I assume with how these engines are configured, they'd respond to a split pulse exhaust housing pretty well?

i had a aftermarket ecu in my old series 7 and it ran sequential twin turbos fine….... but it was a power fc. just plug in and go but they change between series 6 and 7 with different plugs i believe. these megasquirts sound like pretty cool bit of kit and be awesome putting it together yourself

AliExpress 100 and 150 psi pressure sensors arrived. Was pleasantly surprised by the quality feel. Back to back tested them against a $200 genuine honeywell unit, and they were only out by 4kPa max (0.5% of full scale), which is plenty accurate enough for my needs! Will get an adapter to m14x1.25 sorted and get a compression reading ASAP, hopefully I'll find some time over the weekend.

• Like 1

One rotary compression tester adapter:

IMG_20150731_212307_zpsf7nae9ou.JPG.2d1d98a083a6bcc876069a460a1327c2.JPG

I cut away the crimp just above the sparkplug hex, and then tapped the porcelain out with a drift. Came out really easily. Spun up a bit of bar to sit in where the porcelain has been, tapped it for 1/8NPT, and welded it in place. Screwed the sensor in with some thread tape, and it's a good-un.

The supporting gear needed to actually get anything useful out of the sensor:

IMG_20150731_205953_zpsgmtlstlr.JPG.e266af31f35e9b958872f9f17111a0eb.JPG

If I find time I'll make up a simple little box with a display to give the readings, but this lets me get on with fixing this car for the moment :-).

Front rotor:

NewFile5_zps4laxh0yi.PNG.b928487b95db7374d646d9b5017f51ed.PNG

Rear rotor:

NewFile7_zpsytwvyiqm.PNG.05f412233b3624879ce953e1bd19a2e8.PNG

They look all good. The sensor measures 0-150PSI (not sure if gauge pressure, or absolute), outputting 0.5-4.5V. Working this back, the front rotor is showing ~130psi, and the rear rotor is showing ~140psi (subtract 15psi from each of these if it turns out the pressure sensor measures absolute pressure). The peak figures don'y really matter though, outside of the fact that they're all pretty even. I forgot to open the throttle when testing anyway, so they're not really accurate. What is good though, is that all the peaks are pretty even, meaning the motor seems to be sealing well.

Fuel pressure testing next!

[EDIT] - I didn't work out those compression number correctly. I have confirmed that the sensor measures gauge pressure, but didn't take the 0.5V offset they have into account (they output between 0.5 and 4.5V, not 0-4V. This gives peak compression values of 112psi for the front housing, and 123psi for the rear housing. Sounds much more reasonable :-).

• Like 9