Zac's 1998 RX7

ProZac

Cool, the stock sequential system is awesome and really responsive. There are a bunch of solenoids you can still remove to make life easier. Taking out the emissions gear makes a lot of space. Use 330 ohm resistors to fake any solenoids you remove.

• Like 1

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you able to put up a screenshot of the scope on the injector pulse.

Yes, I did save one, I'll pop it up later on. Hopefully if I get back from uni early enough today I'll have time to scope out all the others. I'm actually only a part time student, but I'm responsible for the electrical systems on this year's FSAE car, so that take up ALOT of time. But uni has a dyno, and I get to play with it, so it's totally worth it :-).

Cheers heaps for the info Puddles, that's really helpful. Getting rid of any emissions gear is on the todo list for sure.

• Like 2

Scopes of the injector signals, ordered Front Primary, Rear Primary, Front Secondary, Rear Secondary.

They all look pretty much as I would expect. No action on the secondaries, which makes sense.

FP:

NewFile0_zpsurht5uww.PNG.8d72879225d6bf5397170e7fc9e440cf.PNG

RP:

NewFile1_zpshbof06wj.PNG.537fe1c2d2f2d13aef96be2d43af89d9.PNG

FS:

NewFile2_zpsmtjgjv3t.PNG.860834bbb3c00059cc3d9277c73aedd5.PNG

RS:

NewFile3_zpsgjcmuch4.PNG.ce4ad276d80d03e57a0ff9ee88bbe586.PNG

Took the MAP sensor off to test, will jump on that when I get a spare chance tomorrow.

Have you got fuel pressure at the time of scoping the injectors?

I ask as after the induced spike the voltage drops really fast

788031B8-A541-44DB-8C95-DC967A75BE23.png

Usually I would expect to see a more gradual drop with a pintle hump (as the injector pintle drops to the seat, the metal pintle moving out of the injector windings creates a small current)

man i love root cause analysis, you have acess to some neat stuff too.

Good luck with it

maybe overcomplicated for something with alot of wires but i have in the past printed out a large scale diagram of the wiring system (or any other system) to keep on the wall, then record any data direct on it to help remember. Green highlite the bits that work

Hah, that's a problem that'll never be fixed.

Main symptom is that is seems to massively overfuel. Wont idle correctly, and fouls sparkplugs very very quickly. I just plan to keep ticking things off the list till it gets figured out. It's a fun game, and I'll learn heaps about a model of car I've never played with before.

Doesn't that point to AFM/MAF, Idle mixture control or Choke/Cold Start Enrichment?

(as well as injectors but you seem to be ruling them out already.)

Although far more clever in the RX-7, the 30 running rich was a shitty/incorrect AFM. I swapped between 3-4 that were from a mixture of cars but all supposed to suit the same engine (except one but I wanted to rule that out) before finding one that worked and even then it would sometimes not which ended up being a poor connection of the plug to it. I don't know what the FD runs in that regard but that's where I would be looking.

No AFM's in these cars, they run a speed density (MAP and IAT sensor) configuration. Didn't get a chance to test the MAP sensor yesterday, but I have it with me in the uni workshop today, so will see how it compares to the factory specs.

I really need to get another probe for my scope, so I can overlay spark events and see how they align with the injector pulses. Looking at it again, those pulses are 50ms in length, and that seems really long for what are supposed to be 550cc (thats 27.5cc's of fuel!) injectors... If it's one injection pulse per ignition event (which I would assume... but you know what they say about assumptions).

Looking at those scope pics, there are around 275ms between each injection event start, meaning ~3.6 events per second, or ~218 per minute. There is one combustion event per rotor for each revolution of the eccentric shaft, so this would correspond to the motor rotation at 218rpm during cranking. This sounds about right, leading me to believe it is one injection event per combustion event (sequential).

Need my bits from china to show up so I can continue the fun! :-).

• Like 1