Zac's 1998 RX7

ProZac

So can't wait for the "Fuck yeah. Skids on" update to this thread.

Have been watching with interest and awe of your skills right from the start.

Well , right from when I was pinning over a white fd for sale for fuck all, actually.

So glad I didn't get all excited and buy it, would have thrown a right tanty over the complexity of it's many problems.

Cheers dude, but my skills are nothing to be in awe of, it doesn't run yet, hah! I'm sure someone more familiar with these cars could have had it going in a couple of days, but it's been a hell of a lot of fun learning about the systems surrounding the motor, not to mention rotary engines themselves. I've pretty keen to keep an eye out for a motor with low compression to tear apart and have a play with on the bench.

Really want to get it going and on the dyno so I can do some logging on the twin turbo system, and really crack that side of it open. Would love to get it working properly on an aftermarket ECU. I'm sure switching to a single would have many benefits over this approach, but I just reckon it'd be fun to do. Plus, If I can get it working on a megasquirt, I'm sure there are plenty of other people out there that would like to do the same.

My connector research is almost complete for the base ecu->engine loom. Just the idle air control connector, the coil connectors, and the body loom connectors under the dash. I suspect the coil and IAC connectors are from the same manufacturer as the pins look the same. The body loom connectors look pretty familiar too, I'm just waiting for my mind to click to where I've seen them before, I can feel it working away. Then I'll get some nice Tefzel wire from MSEL and build a nice easy to work with loom for it :-). I found the ECU connectors too, so if I do ever change the ECU I can build the new one with the right connectors so it's plug'n'play.

It's back together enough to start, need to change the oil and plug the ECU back in, then I can see if it runs. Cross your available appendages for me!

• Like 6

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've had a pretty damn good morning.

Changed the oil, topped up all the fluids and set off for a test. Hit up Repco and got myself an accessory USB socket to charge my dead phone, just in case I needed it, and a fire extinguisher, for a similar reason. Car was pretty smokey, and had a bit of oil to burn off the turbos/manifold too. It wasn't running overly well. Would stutter, miss and backfire if you gave it even the slightest amount of jandal, so I was anticipating having to get home and rip into it again... But I stuck with it, and took it for a drive along some back roads where I could open it up a bit... After a few backfires and misses, it cleared its lungs, inhaled a bunch of air and FUCKING WENT NUTS!

I had to remind myself that the motor is pretty fresh, so I didn't give it all the beans, but holy hell does the thing shift. Feels like the fastest car in the world to me at the moment, but that's because I'm sitting on cloud nine seven. After that clear out session, it seems to drive really really well. No farting or missing when tootling around town, just drives really well. The idle is a little high, and not completely smooth, but I suspect that's just going to involve setting up the throttlebody correctly, which I can now do, as I can get it up to operating temp.

Going to give it a much needed wash now, get some rego for it, pay the insurance and head off for a longer test-drive :-).

Grins ear to ear.

Mate.

Fuck yes.

Big ups to you and well, well fucking done. All of the commendation belongs to you.

• Like 2

It could have been the plugs, and if it was I'd say that's the way it was when Brad got it. It could also have been a bunch of other things, definitely not worth dwelling upon. I did about 50k's in it this afternoon, and apart from the high idle (around 1500rpm) with a slight burble, it's been faultless :-). Oil pressure was great and temp was rock solid (although the factory temp gauge is shit-house, I'll have to de-linearise it). The thing is so damn responsive it's hard to keep out of boost. I just want to keep driving it, but I've had to come to uni to get some work done... Still, I live about 35 minutes from uni, so I've got the drive home to look forward to :-).

I think I'll tidy it up further, fix a bunch of interior squeaks and rattles and enjoy it for a couple of weeks.... But the (hopefully tasteful) mods are coming :-)

• Like 6