Ranton's 1989 VW Golf MK2 "Dieseasel" - Discussion

ranton

• 3 months later...

Man it really looks like the gas can go where it likes in that exhaust manifold!

And a few hard bends and pulses hitting one another.

Was there a reason you couldn't make a collector style one? (go up then down. space?) It'd be helpful for you EGT's :)

What's the dilly'o with those "t"s flaring both directions?

And because this is 2016:
**Disclaimer
Any comments I make are not to be taken as critical or confrontational towards any certain individuals, and are simply to be considered as my personal opinion only**

Man it really looks like the gas can go where it likes in that exhaust manifold!

And a few hard bends and pulses hitting one another.

Was there a reason you couldn't make a collector style one? (go up then down. space?) It'd be helpful for you EGT's :)

What's the dilly'o with those "t"s flaring both directions?

And because this is 2016:

**Disclaimer

Any comments I make are not to be taken as critical or confrontational towards any certain individuals, and are simply to be considered as my personal opinion only**

Lmfao...

Haha mostly because of space not much higher than the exhaust manifold is the raintray if i had a mk3 or newer the engine bay has a slightly taller space available in the engine bay. Mk2s are poky and small and while i probabky could have made a collector style and made it fit. I didnt really feel need to spend hours and hours and hours for this little hack haha

Im not that fixated on power out put the car weights under a tonne so anything over 180hp and 250nm will be fast enough for this nana

Both the log manifold and the gorgeous collector style manifolds sell for around 600+ GBP (i dont have that much spare tin)

I made my manifold for under 100 NZD plus 2 hours of me fucking around :)

The bends are all schedule 40 1 1/4 and where the log branches off to the turbo is enlarges to 1 1/2 to match the inlet size of the turbos exhaust housing.

the turbo will be underworked anyway so egts shouldnt be that much of an issue i dont think. I dont really know anythibf about diesels or tuning them.

Apparently if i bothered to do crank and pistons etc I could see 350 - 380 hp with this turbo..

Not sure what you ment by the flaring ts?

• Like 1

The T section, looks like it's more of a Y crossed with a T. (superimpose Y over T) I just mean it doesn't look directional as many log manifolds do :) I need a drawing!

The red is what I think might happen a bit (at the same time as the green)

And the 2nd horrible drawing is with a couple of 90's turning down to the collector.

Smashy%20Smashy.jpg

BEHOLD the power of MSPAINT!!!!

But for those power levels I guess it won't matter much, thought I saw those larger figures in your build thread and thought it may be a problem :)

And if you end up with spare time/monies later it's all gravy.

I love this build.

**Disclaimer

that design is acutally the "sports" exhaust for my flathead. its much better (30% if you believe the old barries) than havin the exhaus exit at the back. It also results in less exhaust valve burnout which typically happens on #4 on the standard.

• Like 1

that design is acutally the "sports" exhaust for my flathead. its much better (30% if you believe the old barries) than havin the exhaus exit at the back. It also results in less exhaust valve burnout which typically happens on #4 on the standard.

Back = end?

I don't mean the T as in the shape of the entire manifold, the the parts it's made from :)

I didn't add a 3rd iteration where the "T"s are more like bends because he ain't making this again! But maybe the center part :P After giving me a beating.

The T section, looks like it's more of a Y crossed with a T. (superimpose Y over T) I just mean it doesn't look directional as many log manifolds do :) I need a drawing!

The red is what I think might happen a bit (at the same time as the green)

And the 2nd horrible drawing is with a couple of 90's turning down to the collector.

Smashy%20Smashy.jpg

BEHOLD the power of MSPAINT!!!!

But for those power levels I guess it won't matter much, thought I saw those larger figures in your build thread and thought it may be a problem :)

And if you end up with spare time/monies later it's all gravy.

I love this build.

**Disclaimer

I would have liked to do something more like the lower picture but the spacing is confined.. and i have attempted to radius corners where ever possible

• Like 1

I understand :)

But did it clear up the T comment/ask I made?
I reckon they'd be better than a hard 90 either direction so that's a positive :)

In my 30's technology log manifold, the exhause downpipe exits the manifold behind the 4th exhaust port

this type, exhaust exiting between 2,3. is much better

No disputes here!
Not the question I was asking/raising but a boat without gravy isnt'....... wait where was I going with that?

• 2 weeks later...