Alternator problem

SOHC

Was driving this morning in my 1981 Volvo 245 and noticed I didn't have much in the way of electronics, charge warning light didn't come on and there is no out put form the alternator.

It has one big main wire running to the battery and one small wire witch goes into the loom. dose this little wire need power when the IGN is switched on or is it just for the warning lamp?

I think that little wire must have come disconnected somewhere as I put on a spare alternator and have no lamp or charge still.

Managed to get it charging just now

I had a spare alternator witch was different as it was externally regulated but I filed out the hole to fit the regulator/ brush holder from my old alternator and soldered in a better set of brushes from the old plug.

When I was fitting the new  alternator I noticed a broken homemade earth wire, I think that was the whole problem?  

I should really chuck the old one back on and try it?

I don't understand why the charge light didn't come on?

I had to drive home quickly as possible and remove the fuse for the day viz lights and it was starting to misfire under load on the open road and when I pressed the horn when I got home it cut out lol    

dunno if this hepls,but i usually start the car up, and cut a 10cm piece of speaker cable and put it across the big fat power cable out the back of the alternator and put it on the pin for the excitor,if she powers up then i know theres an issue,or keep the piece of cable in the glove box for everyday/temporary use.have had a few issues like this.good luck

• Like 1

I haven't checked with a meter yet but its now charging and the warning light is comming on when the motor is off and going out when its running.

Will check with a meter tommrow morning but I can see the headlights getting brighter when I rev it up as the battery is pretty flat

Old alternator is back on and seems to be working, I think the oil pressure sender wire had no insulation and was shorting with the wire witch switches the alternator on, they both had no insulation for about 2 feet inside the conduit witch was full of oil.

they are now inside a peace of garden hose  

• Like 1