megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

The resistor you put in the ECU is to set it up for hall effect/opto. The extra pull up to 12v is to create a voltage differential between open and close on the points to make it easier for the ECU to pick up the trigger points, think of it as a light switch that is only connected to ground, you can see when it is close if you supply your own voltage but otherwise you don't know if it is open or closed, add the phase wire and then it is much easier to see because the light bulb works without needing to supply your own voltage. I would add it anyway just to be safe, but like downtrail said it will probably work without it.

Also hand, in this setup you won't get those voltage spikes as it isn't connected to a coil so no emf, the points are just acting as a simple switch.

• Like 1

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Success, found the original mod instructions, and also discovered one of my flying leads went to the wrong side of a diode.

It's actually slightly different to a hall sensor wiring apparently (haven't used the pull up lead)

msns-points.jpg

however fix one problem, the next shows its face. 

im not getting any spark, checking straight from the coil to rule out any distributor errors. 

the SparkA Led is flashing as it should do, but im not sure if this monitors that the ecu knows it should be firing the coil, or if it monitors an actual live voltage change. 

also the coil gets pretty warm pretty fast, so haven't had it turned on very much or for very long. it seems like another configuration or programming fault. 

under codebase and outputs d14 should be spark a (where your coil driver should be connected to) 

Check also under spark settings Spark output inverted = yes.

If the first line is correct and spark output is inverted change spark output inverted to = no and see if coil gets warm

Output

Input Location (V2.2) 

Spark A Right of R25 

Spark B Right of R28 

Spark C Right of R26 

Spark D Top of R14 with R14 removed Bottom of R1 with R1 removed Bottom of R1 with R1 removed

Spark E U1 pin 10 JS7 JS7 Spark F JP1 pin 5 JS10 JS10

This is the table i pulled from DIYAutoTune. 

i have my coil driver fitted to the right side of R25, which is nowhere near d14 as it says in tunerstudio. should i move it?

also i have spark inverted = yes, i will try it as no and report back. another note i saw someone mention was that retaining the balast resister caused the extra heat and its not required? though ive not seen that written officially, and most diagrams show it still in place. 

Sorry d14 is the led for spark a on the v3.0 board so where you have it is correct. should be d17 for the 2.2 board.

If its a 12v coil by all means remove the ballast resistor but if its a 6v coil keep it there. 

set led 18 and 19 to warm up and acceleration make sure no other spark outputs are selected here or weird stuff happens.

i have led18 set to IRQ trigger, meant to monitor the points trigger which it does, and LED19 is set to acceleration which i dont think will do anything on my build. 

led17 is set to Spark A. 

all the wiring is correct, im not really sure what the issue is thats not giving me spark. ill bolt the ecu back together and go try it with Spark inverted = No and see if that changed anything

Shouldn't be getting warm unless running. whats your cranking dwell set to? Somewhere around 5ms should be fine. does your laptop dusconnect whilst cranking? Could be a poor griund to ecu Causing it to shut down due to a large volt drop.

test light confirms power to coil while cranking. 

however

also put test light from (-) terminal of coil to battery power (this should be a switched earth controlled by the ecu/bip373 yeah?) and its earth all the time no matter the position of the engine/points open or closed etc. so this doesn't sound right at all. 

am unbuttoning the ecu now to triple check the BIP wiring but am pretty sure its as you stated. 

alright the BIP is wired up as stated. 

ive used pins 3+4 on the DB37 connector as i think these are un used pins, have directly soldered to the db37s pins. perhaps i fucked up there and they are internationally earthed? 

bellow is just an example of why i think 3+4 are okay to use for coil (-), not how ive wired the entire ecu etc etc

4CyWasted_VR_Wiring.GIF