Quadzilla's 1973 Holden HQ Statesman Deville

The Bronze

Good stuff man. She ain't no Chebby but.

Good to see one still so crisp and tidy. Hopefully you don't join the owner trend of using it for a moment then storing it for years (mind you, it would hardly be in this condition if it was treated any differently).

Thanks for the comments

Got out the cleaning gear for a "test" clean on the interior, upholstry and interior/exterior chrome work. So far results are showing this thing will come up freaking sweet to sparkle like it was only a few years old.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

What are the specs of the cam you are using? I built a 308 last century that had a 210@050 cam that was really good in a street motor. The ute it was in ran mid 14's down the quarter and would happily pull a 21 foot power boat up the ram at 1600 revs. For your Statesman something similar would be ideal, the original cams were really mild, especially when they got worn out.

no idea. left it to the engine builder.
if the orig cam was toast, i asked for a high torque/economy cam. hopefully the technology and experience increase over 40 yrs makes a huge difference.
i know very little about cams....bigger HP is not always better :study: . maybe ive made the leap to older and wiser?

something off the shelf he said. has a regular cam place he uses. higher lift with standard idle, not lumpy.

i was thinking custom spec to the car, give all the vehicle specs to the cam maker.

either way, i have to trust in their years of experience.

i know my head re-conditioner dude is a good man, who recommended them to me. my local garage for everyday repairs uses the head re-conditioner. so hopefully ive got a good network of experienced old schoolers

Anyway, ill see the re-conditioner this week and make sure we are both on the right track, mention your numbers.

cos i aint doing it again.

• 2 weeks later...

What are the specs of the cam you are using? I built a 308 last century that had a 210@050 cam that was really good in a street motor. The ute it was in ran mid 14's down the quarter and would happily pull a 21 foot power boat up the ram at 1600 revs. For your Statesman something similar would be ideal, the original cams were really mild, especially when they got worn out.

seems ive got a comp cam 260H, 212 @050

towing, hauling, lots of useable torque so the catalogue says...

sounds interesting

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 15/02/2017 at 00:34, Quadzilla said:

What you got 66gt?

73 HQ Statesman All original 2 owner car. Bench seat. Bought it about 5 years ago after it sat unused for 20 years. Fully rebuilt the brakes and power steer. Engine had a few oil leaks so had it fully record, it had a few busted parts inside so glad I got it done. Heads converted to unleaded and put on Pacemaker Headers and dual exhausts. Put on the 14x8 Tridents to keep it all looking period. It’s virtually rust free and original paint. Interior is all factory with original brocade and factory radio, never had any holes drilled for aftermarket shit. 

0886E7A3-3189-4691-8412-8A808700DCFF.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 years later...