SiRge's 1972 Honda N360

SiRge

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh if you want some of my inspiration, here goes.

Deciding if I like this modified grill design, I have a spare grill but wondering if I keep it or make this type to see if it suits.

But god I love this colour too!

caigP.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My checklist for starting an unknown motor 

Compression = easy enough to check, (check your valve clearances with a feeler gauge too)
Fuel = ether in a can is a suitable substitute for an unknown shithouse carby,

Timing = just a bit of knowledge to set that up.

Spark = witchcraft. (but a knowledge of how it works is important)

I always try and take the witchcraft out of it. 

So if it was me I would grab a set of points, a condensor and new plugs.

If you can find a cap and rotor too then it would be even better.

Put them in with a bit of a dab hand and then spin it over with some ether down it's guts and it should fire up. 

The compression is low but if it is not spinning over very fast then that could explain the low compression. (checking valve clearances with a set of feeler blades will tell you if you have a problem with an open valve etc)

Could give a hand one night to set up the witchcraft side if you like.

If you know of a leakdown tester then that would put my mind at ease for if the valves are seating.

The spark seems to be quite strong, the points looks in good condition, I could find another points from Japan, but we're producing a solid spark with just new plugs. It's more than likely the timing of the spark more than anything

The main problem with timing is you're meant to set the crank to TDC with the head off, then put the head on on TDC via the mark, then tighten the chain. Which we didnt do it, we just did a rangi job, so in theory we're either spot on, or off by 1 link.(We've checked it twice now and think it's good, but you never really know...

I have no leakdown tester sorry. 

A spark can look like a fucking tazer in open air but it can be shithouse in a combustion chamber if the condensor is a bit poos or the point surface is a bit gummed up.

(if the points have been sitting around as long as the car then I say replace them to eliminate that as a cause - have you tried locally, maybe a motorbike shop to match up electrical bits?) 

Also I can set the engine to TDC with a screwdriver and the head still on. So don't worry about that.

If you have some spark and some compression, you should be able to get it to go bang on some ether.

If the engine was sitting for ages, it could have been sitting with valves open etc, so there could be corrosion on the valves or the seats, stopping them from sealing 100%.

An italian tune would probably sort that. hah.

Even if your ignition timing is off, it should still choff, either out the intake or into the exhaust.

Are you sure your cam timing is correct, that could also be why the compression is low. The valves could still be open part way into the upstroke and a couple of your compressions could be escaping.....

This could also mean that its not getting enough suck on the intake to pull through fuel mixture.... Just a thought. I'd double check that.

I'd be happy to come and have a gander one night to see if we can get it running.

Do you have a service manual etc?

I'd be happy to come and have a gander one night to see if we can get it running.

Do you have a service manual etc?

I have service manual yes. 

Welcome to come over and gander. This is my first car older than 90's so my learning curve of "Just hit it with a hammer" seems odd to me.

We got a single choff btw, but that was within like 2 mins of cranking and spraying ether and getting high on fumes.