SiRge's 1972 Honda N360

SiRge

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/49007-sirges-1969ish-honda-n360/

So I've finally embarked on my own journey of owning a classic car. Been wanting to do something in the much simpler world without luxury items such as retractable seat belts (Who really needs them anyways?) So a few months ago with my partner after we picked up our '81 Leyland Mini (Unsure if will do build thread for this too), decided to go to a place called Horopito. I'd heard of it before and people have told me there's just lots of old cars and potentially some pretty cool finds. While we were there I found some new wheels for the daily and also spotted this hidden little white Honda N360. Before I left I expressed some interest and they said they'd be happy to sell.

Cool.

After another couple months and a few phone calls I arranged for myself and a mate to go up with a couple trailers and pick up this little beast (A couple trailers required as they said I could have the free wreck that they had on site too). Headed up last week and stayed at brother-in-laws's place overnight for the long trip on Saturday.

Couple photos the cars loaded up with the N360's

4zaopufo.xcf.jpg

Sorry potato photos below, think I smudged my phone camera lense.

eir2n5ha.lac.jpg

mosorkax.nlb.jpg

After an exciting trip home with not a fault in the world, such a lucky trip. We off load the car onto my driveway and I shoot off to drop the hire trailer off. Dropped it off at 4.30 (Y) Bang on time, couldn't have done it better (Only had hire trailer for 24 hours). Put a tarp over the wreck as there's holes in the roof and left it for the night.

• Like 6

During washing - Potato picture, but you can see the before and after colour :P

itljzekk.l2x.jpg

Finally had a clean for now, bit worried about the amount of white paint that came off with the wash, possibly repaint at some point :S But it's actually pretty good under the dirt so extremely happy with that!

uwh5htdj.nr5.jpg

1njnos3c.ksy.jpg

c1inysnw.4nr.jpg

a1hfcmjz.nen.jpg

• Like 9

Another reasonably uneventful update, but with a lolable picture.

Nathan and I took out all the rest of the salvageable gear in the wreck (We litterally picked it up and tipped it on it's side...) Sprayed all of the things with ROST OFF, had a can of coke and banter then removed all of the bolt with no snappage. Then we flipped it back on the ground and proceeded to put a flipped space saver in the wheel arch to show of how amazing it could look on 15s. 

Sadly at this height the body is on the wheel so this height is unobtainable without some major surgery but would look pretty dman cool!

Oh and before I forget, moved the n360 over to in front of the mini (Not seen in this photo) so I can get my other car back in the garage. Fitting 3 cars in a double garage like a boss.

C7QuP.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Tried to start the gay little thing lol. Friend Nathan came around, we started the day off with some creamy blue cheese on crackers and cup of tea, really to set the mood good. Made some pork rib dry rub in preparation for a bbq after the lundy 500 in a couple weeks then got down to business.

Replaced oil, plugs, fuel (Jesus the fuel, it resembled coke when we drained the old stuff out!). Found this car has an electric petrol pump, sounds like a very small bilge pump lol. Enough about that, inspected the points, connected a battery up, tried to turn it over. *Clunk*. Unsure what I was thinking to be honest.

Hmmm. Lets try 14 times more to see if it was just an off chance. *clunk*, nope. Still poked. Rocked the car back and forth, tried again, nothing. Another friend josh came over as he's an electrical genius, cleaned a few earth, ran some tests over the car for voltage etc. Tested relays, seem fine. Manually spin the motor over a few rototions with a spanner, still nothing. That sad moment you have to figure out how a Motor-Generator works. The silly thing doesn't have a starter motor, it has a motor and generator in 1. When you apply juice to the motor it spins and start the motor, but as it's spinning it generates power, so when the car continues to run, the motor's spinning and generating power. Oh Honda, you produce some innovative hunks of crap, but it's still very cool.

Well next time I'll be taking electrical stuff apart and looking a bit like this while doing it as I really have no idea.

b50bf8ce69a07d26195643013cb28a9f-d5i3qld

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Another pictureless update as the car hasnt moved :(

But since the last update I have: (With help with a friend or 2)

- Chain timing was out, during the process of turning the motor over once we had filled it with all new fluids, friend (Or me, unsure now) turned engine backwards and skipped the chain as the hydrolic pressure went to nothing on the tensioner. Instead of taking head off and organising new H/G to get it back in timing, I only had to turn it backwards another 2 skips of the timing chain (Held the cam at TDC with vice grips and rotated motor back like 1/8 of a turn in the end to then be timed correctly again) (Sorry Scott and Jared  ) So it's now timed up as best as I can see ... hopefully.

- Next onto the carb I have cleaned it out various time with carb cleaner, removed the jets, made sure they flowed well (Carb cleaner is aerosol so punch a bit of grim out or all of the things), unfortunately there's a wee bit of old fuel jelly in there and I'm not entire sure if it's completely out of the passages. It doesnt seem to dissolve in the carb cleaner too well, but we did only find it in the float. Float is now filling up, carb is now giving us fuel, unsure how much fuel still. Might pay to say I have the 2nd gen carb here, so looks the same as the Z600/N600 carb.

- Starter motor we had to drown the bushes in CRC to get dirt loose enough for their springs to work, smoked a little bit when we first had it cranking over too  But she's all fine and dandy now, cranks over like new!

- For the points we've adjusted the brush in there so it's a more suitable distance from the lube. Wasn't any rust or dirt in there so I'm hoping it all looks ok. The spark seems to be firing on both plugs (Replaced them too), unsure on the spark timing yet however, I can't see why someone would change it though?

- We've done a compression test dry when it was first timed up, had 60psi equal over both cylinders. So hopefully that means there aren't any bent valves in there, but maybe the valves are seating 100%. We've lubed the bores up since and we're going to do another compression test and also find a leakdown tester to use as well.

So next thing to do is probably lube up the bores some more, and then do another compression check, other than that, I'm out of ideas now. Help?
  • Like 1

Goat you beautiful man you.

She runs finally. Spark issue in the end, condenser is poked, joe happened to have one rolling around his flatmates starlet. Rangi mod installed and she fired up pretty much first pop.

Grin was ear to ear.

aqiab0ar.oml.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Got it idling. And bonus points, it moved under it's own steam about 10cm (We're in a pretty tight garage!)

But after warming it up completely, few things to note: still potentially a missfire in there somewhere, running rich, still only has 85psi compression sad.png (Should have 160) Guess a rebuild is in order. 2016 perhaps I can figure something out. Before I rebuild however, I'll probably do some Italian tuning. Maybe try that sea foam stuff or whatever its called? I needs someone to either bring me a leak-down tester or help me feeler gauge the valves to see if the issue exists there.

In other news, found out you can bore the sleeves on these bad boys and run EB1 Civic pistons, giving us ~400cc, newer/easier to find piston rings. May give me that 3hp I need to beat the Mrs' Mini in a micro-car drag race :)

Next on the list is to put it up on stands and pull all the brakes off and rebuild. Then when that's done I can bring her outside and hoon (See: "Go fucking slow") down the road. Excitement level 4.

• Like 7

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought an NZ new N600. '73 has a bit more rust and some retard took the gas cap off so no doubt the gas tank is fucked. Came with newly chromed bumpers and grill etc so thats pretty cool (Y)

rokvzmnm.hih.jpg

Picked up some SSR Mesh (welded 3 pieced, but I'm 95% sure the centre is reversable.... but I cant seem to get the centre out...) (Thanks to Alex @ Moonlight Racing to organising buying from Yahoo)

iatt3pcy.l1j.jpg

Aaaand finally, removed the hubs from the first one to get all the soft lines pads and cylinders reproduced/relined through ABC, sandblast all the parts, dip the parts in zinc phosphate, powdercoat them, then will get them back on the car. The hard lines on this car is setup so shit, there's a single line that goes out to the drivers wheel, which then leads back to the passenger wheel, which then leads back to the passenger rear wheel, then leads to drivers rear wheel... Have a friend with reel of brake line and benders/flare tools so maybe 1 day I'll make proper split lines, but then again, I could leave it for the 600...

ctg4luoz.sdm.png

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...