jackeo21's GX61 MKII Hardtop couch spec.

stylez

Discuss : //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/49000-stylez-gx61-mkii-hardtop-couch-spec-disc/?p=1544979

Righto.

So I sold the Wolseley, as we have our first wee one on the way in about a month!

This will be a second err... Family? Car.

Gx61 mk2 hardtop

Couch spec.

Factory Manual.

image.jpg2_1.jpg

image.jpg3_1.jpg

Oh, and I had some change for these Work Equip 01s.

image.jpg5_1.jpg

Flying up to Chch Sunday and driving home. Stoked.

Discuss : //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/49000-stylez-gx61-mkii-hardtop-couch-spec-disc/?p=1544979

• Like 5

Arrived in Christchurch early Sunday morning, maccas brekkie and cruised on home.

image.jpg7.jpg

Fuel up in Balclutha

image.jpg4_2.jpg

image.jpg5_2.jpg

Got home safe and sound, goes really well. A lot of power for a single slammer.

So wheels are currently these :

Celica/supra/soarer ones.

image.jpg6_1.jpg

Decided against the works, due to being 13s and some advice given.

But I picked up these, on the way to me now.

They are Bridgestone Potenza tr3 stage 1s.

image.jpg1_2.jpg

image.jpg2_2.jpg

Now if you flip the centre, this happens.

Stupid dish & stupid offset.

image.jpg8.jpg

image.jpg9.jpg

Now I've read a thousand arguments on this being fine, and the same again on it being a stupid/retarded/unsafe idea. So I don't know, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Pressure on wheel bearings, tyres coming off, and others I've heard running them with no worries.

I'll try it for shits and giggles and take some pics, but I think I'm going to end up running them normally for a while anyway before looking into some lips. Feel free to post your opinions I suppose.

Discuss here : //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/49000-stylez-gx61-mkii-hardtop-couch-spec-disc/?p=1544979

• Like 1

Shifter was sloppy as so ordered a new bush this morning.

There's a very slight notch at high revs downshift into second and sometimes down into third.

Thinking about going with this kit and having a go at rebuilding it :

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/w55-w56-w58-transmission-rebuild-kit-with-synchro-rings-fits-toyota-78-91/

Is it worth it ? I have no plans to upgrade gearbox or engine, and clutch is like new, both seem totally fine to me. The "1g-euwww" seems to have plenty power to push her along, and light tires up when required. ;)

I'll hold off until I've replaced the shifter bush, I'm wondering if the sloppiness could be part of the cause of the notch maybe as changes not so precise ?

Small update

Wheels arrived

image.jpg5_3.jpg

image.jpg2_3.jpg

Bought some gloss black paint/primer/thinners etc, and a decent compressor.

image.jpg3_3.jpg

Massive (12") crystal gearknob showed up in mail.

image.jpg6_2.jpg

Looking at the wheels, they have slightly more dish than I thought, and the face and face mounting peice (tech speak) are thicker than I thought, so mounting face behind May give a decent bit of offset/dish and look alright. We will see.

That's all for now.

Discuss here : //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/49000-stylez-gx61-mkii-hardtop-couch-spec-disc/?p=1544979

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mn0p1.jpg

For warrant im putting the 8j focus on the rear with the 195/45 toyo t1rs and ill put some 185/60 on these 6j enkei cross fevers up front.

vosjdh.jpg

i see above mention of the shifter being very poor, upon investigation this is due to the rubber/metal bush in the selector being very worn, it looks like an attempt to fix this was made by wrapping the nylon socket on the end of shifter with masking tape to build it up  :doubt:

Ive ordered a solid replacement from cube racing from Australia which comes with a small rig to press the new one in

zvxuuo.jpg

vdhh1d.jpg

1eb37p.jpg

Will update on how it works when it arrives and will also one of the marlin crawler shifter seats as that is also non existent.

Something that always bugged me seeing this car for sale was the lack of leather shifter boot even though it was a factory manual so i had one made up. The original one must have perished but the metal ring was still there and i had a brown one to take in as a template 

23igz0l.jpg

Here is the new heart awaiting Wof to be put in

54y5gz.jpg

Also have a full set of facelift chaser door cards on the way as well as grill and one of the headlights which i already have the bonnet from.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Day after the warrant sticker went on

acu9zc.jpg

cube racing bush arrived and installed as well as the marlin crawler shifter seat.gearbox feels like it should now!

Before and after

9r65ol.jpg

2z87zpu.jpg

Full set of facelift chaser doorcards arrived from Todd down the line along with one of the headlights, corner lights and grill that match the bonnet already on my car.

Doorcards cleaned up nicely with the turtle wax interior cleaner

f084k.jpg

Few more photos to post over the next few days of recent acquisitions. Things are moving quickly!!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I located an eagle mask sx60 (facelift mark II) that i believe used to belong to 'pies' on here?

The car was in Kihikihi and was in a beyond repair state so a price was paid to take everything off it. Barnz.NZ and I shot down early saturday morning with an empty datsun wagon and a trailer which we filled to the brim. 

34r6pfm.jpg

This had a few crucial pieces i needed some of which i was gearing up to buy from japan.

The front which i intend to swap to had one of the headlights and corner lights broken and the other headlight quite badly chipped but after some research i found facelift chaser and mark ii actually use the same headlight but with different brackets to position the relative to corner light and grill size.

Here are both of them pictured to show what i mean

Facelift Mark II

tumblr_n1rnlswh5O1svchfoo1_500.jpg

Facelift chaser

eb4cc8cffc9da54db49a67529125540f.jpg

25zksd1.jpg

28a22i9.jpg

I still need to obtain that drivers side corner light for the last piece of the puzzle but have a lead on a pair in Malaysia.

I also managed to get facelift bumpers and almost every interior piece to replace what has been broken in mine, I may even swap the side windows over as some of mine is scratched and etched with two different regos  :geek:

This week ive stripped engine bay completely and removed guards and wiper cowl ready to paint/ under seal. I haven't stumbled across any nasty surprises yet which I'm glad about, just a bit of paint stripped from leaking brake and clutch master cylinders which I'll treat before paint.

I've also set about changing all the locks and ignition to a set i have which uses one key for the lot as all exterior ones were damaged beyond use.

The interior has been stripped out so i can fabricate the driveshaft hoops once engine bay is painted and so i could replace the broken boot release cable and give the carpet a good clean if i cant find a decent replacement

Also picked this up from a friend who i bought this for a few years ago while in japan

256y1w6.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...