EFI_LCs 1986 VK Commodore

EFI_LC

I just picked up my new Daily Driver and will sell my trusty NZ new BMW 535i Manual so if you want it pm me and join the line as I have 3 interested so far.

Anyway.

VK Commodore

1986 (First Registered 1987) Some call these a VA as the A designates the last of the VK

The Last Holden that used a Holden 6

3.3 Carby motor

Manual 5-speed

137,000kms (116k by the original owner and prior to the guy i bought it from 2 owners were father & son)

Full seat and door trim

I need to add some trime which 90% of it came with the car

It has had a full bare metal paint

The engine needs some TLC as it has some sludge build up and the carby floods when turned off

IMG_0362_zpsnxoxxtrt.jpg

IMG_0361_zps8y1rqqje.jpg

• Like 9

small list of need to do stuff before I am happy to sell the bmw. If anyone has a VH dizzy I would like to buy it.

Leaking somewhere into the boot from the inner guards, possible it may from the rain channel on roof and going inside ?  I will check with Rare Spares as they will have seen this before.

drivers seat back is a bit skewed and needs a straighten, common on these.

wheel alignment needed

fan replacement coming up as well

wipers blades

Getting some double-sided tape so I can do the trim. Also need to paint it all matching. I dont want to go near a carpark until its on as some fuckwit will open his door on it

1 rear tail/brake bulb needs replacing

Gearbox/clutch is shite at the mo, going to pull the clurch cable and lube it to see if that helps and the gearbox may need decent oil.

All else fails I will pull it out and throw in my W55 as it has a Holden 6 bellhousing :)

So I found that the tappet cover was leaking so removed the tappet cover and cleaned as much sludge from the top and took about half a margarine container of muck out of both rocker cover and head.

Put a new gasket on and and bolted it back on with no leaks now. Next will be a filter and oil change using diesel oil. I have some spare lifters If I can't shut these ones up and the Holden has side covers so you can do this without pulling the engine apart.

And if the lifters are not quiet by 2k then maybe buy a new set of lifters at about $9 each,

Oil pressure is good for a stock engine and quite possibly just as good as new.

This is distracting my main mission so I am in a hurry to sort it out so I can get back to my Starlet :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Something I hear often by people who obviously have either very little mechanical knowledge or are just trying to sell a noisy engine is that it has a the typical noisy tappets. A good Holden engine is typically very quiet as they Hydraulic the pushrods onto the rockers.

I think I may replace a couple of lifters as they haven't gone quiet like the rest.

It is an easier job in a Holden 6 as they have side plates to get to them, remove the side plates and the tappet cover, remove the pedestal & pushrods, replace lifters & pushrods and torque down. put side plates back on start engine and if quiet, put tappet cover back on.

My plan is to clean up a spare head(mild port) and get it ready for bolting on, add efi flows and a 600 holley on a modofied black carby manifold. You may laugh at a 600 holley with vac secondaries but in actual fact it will be a 4-barrel which will only ever uses 2 throats so actually a 300cfm carb. It is lying around and I have used this on a 6 before and it delivered very punchy performance to about 4500rpm which is what I am designing the engine for, mid-range. If that fails I will throw on the 450 4-barrel.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A couple of things arrived yesterday and I put the dizzy on just before and an immediate difference to the responsiveness of the engine.

I never even changed the Dizzy cap :)

It pulls clean from low revs and pulls harder in the mid-range.

My intentions are to pull the engine out Nov or Dec and do the Cam, Lifters and internal engine clean.

Then put the 600 Holley on and flows and build an exhaust,

Then next, lighten the flywheel and match the clutch for the W55 box. 

I need someone to turn up a brass spigot and that should do that.

IMG_3833%201280x854_zpsum3ptoft.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted but thought I would share my misfortune and luck.

I went to the drags the other weekend towing my car and as I pulled out of Shell the carby shit itself and started running rich as feck.

I got to the track and back home after having to idle it at about 2500-3000rpm and decided it was time to throw the 4-barrel on it.

After trying the 600 admitted defeat as I bought it off TM as a rebuilt tested carb which flooded the first time I started and couldn't run no matter what I tried so bit the bullet and went to my parts box and pulled out the old 450 4-barrel which has been passed around on all sorts of V8's from a 253 to a 350 in a 4wd and it ran. Not great but I could drive it.

Just finished giving the old a girl a tune and now it's running better than it ever has and pulls well to 5000rpm, next has to be the flows and maybe the cam later.

I also have a VH dizzy which I bypassed the computer by running it direct to the ignition

4-barrel_zps87cr8jda.jpg

• Like 4