120why's 75 Datsun 120y

120why

• 4 months later...

Been a while since an update, A14 has been running well. Finally got the jetting better, smoother to drive and more fuel efficient! Up'd the main jets and changed the emulsion tubes to improve the change between idle and main jet. Its still a little bit lean, but have spent far too much lately on trial and error with finding the jets. 

In November, my diff became seriously whiney. Ended up buying a 2nd hand head to put in, this seems to be working okay for now.

Sourced a Datsun H165 ute diff 4.11 ratio, this needs some mods to fit but will be far stronger than the h150 thats in the car at the mo. Will be working on this throughout the year when I visit home during breaks from uni

Took the car to Caffeine and Classics at Hampton Downs after xmas, also came to the Oldschool Drags at Meremere! 

puhxjzwi.1om.jpg
j5xmnkyi.pl4.jpg
vvm4ryrp.ijj.jpg
cbibo34s.0ft.jpg
hvf53it5.1y2.jpg

• Like 5

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Few small updates from today -

Bracket made for 120y hand brake cable to mount, bit on the ugly sign but she'll do! 

Diff wire wheeled, rust treated and prepsol'd ready to prime tomorrow. Aiming to have the diff in on Sunday after I do a some exhaust mod's... 

ike4groa.edd.jpg

lcsa01nk.jid.jpg

a4eqf5q0.tnv.jpg

utdjl4ol.ype.jpg

mbdq1o3m.ws1.jpg

• Like 5

More updates... Laid some paint this afternoon :D ready to go back in the car. 

m04impsd.onu.jpg

zl0wbtsu.2ps.jpg

ejh52aib.jxu.jpg

Also, forgot I never posted the guard resurrection. In December last year I spent some time repairing rust, filling and sanding. Got some paint matched, its not perfect but pretty close considering the lime/yellow/milky colour. The paint tin is back at the shop and they are having another go at it.

ji245iub.2lj.jpg

3a5x5xsb.b0u.jpg

ialdzb2g.r2s.jpg

50u0df5e.mvl.jpg

So back to the diff, aiming to have the exhaust sorted on Saturday and the diff in on Sunday. Might go for a hoon up the road on Sunday night :D

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Diff installed and running well! Ended up getting a driveshaft shortened, re balanced and a new joint fitted under level 3! The 4.11 ratio provides a fair bit more torque than the 3.9 and is paired well with the 5 speed box!

Anyway, I was asked a while ago to share some photos of inside the car as I'm pretty useless at this... Interior is 95% mint, a tear in the hood lining and a tear in the already repaired drivers seat. Plans to get this tidied up soon!

kjs5z5ey.qob.jpg
rce22crh.ihr.jpg
kicphjtl.25n.jpg
qd4rzllh.yal.jpg
wvp00lwq.ifb.jpg
0hn3qm1m.5dw.jpg
ggrl3pgh.udt.jpg
2kc42bvg.tnz.jpg
edssct2b.qb0.jpg

Went for a little drive to the beach! 

m0reiba4.d11.jpg
5uyyvhhj.qhf.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Had fun last year at 2022 Oldschool Nats. Bit of a delay in photo updates, but hey :smile:

Had some issues with timing and crank key wearing. I couldn't get the thing off the line very fast! Sorted now, so should be ready for Drags 2023! 

318410271_599035078889268_5002466996832581670_n.jpg

318956106_599034968889279_521621050394271987_n.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...