120why's 75 Datsun 120y

120why

• 2 weeks later...

Will be making a trip from the Wairarapa to Auckland on sunday. Stopping at places to pick up parts. Will be floating around the island if anyone is keen to catch up or have a chat.. 

Picture with a friends ke30 

qantbyeq.04b.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a datsun man come by today, worked on stripping my 5 speed 60a gear box. 

Was purchased in unknown condition, have found that the main in put bearing has blown itself up, causing the balls to go through the box. No other damage has been done to cogs etc.

Should be a solid box once its been rebuilt!

5 speed and dellortos, power pack for the Y.

Does anyone have 40mm dellorto trumpets ? am after some 

smwekpkr.lwb.jpg
3g0ss2ri.vuu.jpg
4ifmah3r.ahn.jpg
cuf0xaqm.1jy.jpg
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Few updates on the 120.

5 speed is completely in bits, bearings going in soon. Housing had to be tig'd up and milled out, the input bearing jammed up (the oval balls above), causing the bearing race to spin in the housing. Its eaten about 2-3mm of alloy. After thats done, the box will be ready to go back together!

Replaced lower ball joints, old ones were so had it. 

New nolathane bushes in lower control arms to cross member - bitch of a job.

dm3aj534.sjc.jpg

Busy..

A car "group" that I made - Wairarapa Oldschools made its debut at the Masterton Motorcomplex Drag strip open day. We are basically a bunch of guys in our region that get together with our old cars as not alot happens in the wairarapa!

0d0j2iak.cql.jpg

52vsbvu0.ka0.jpg

k5epprk5.qja.jpg

g2ly2sev.24d.jpg

Picked up a heap of parts on Wednesday, a police repo man saw me driving around and there was a bunch of 120y parts at a repo job he had. He saw me up town and gave me is number... that night was off to pick up datto parts! $100 bought me all this 

j1ejzdfg.l0u.jpg
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Gearbox all going back together. Syncros all cleaned and gears washed in petrol. Should put the housings back on tomorrow and will get it in finally!

zxjqunwy.slz.jpg
utix3dgw.qxf.jpg

Finally fixed up my head rests... they came from a 120y coupe, however they seem to have a different offset. Welded on some offset brackets and fitted them in. So much nicer 

rpehmaob.gbg.jpg
wz32xqu5.jli.jpg

Also got my stiff shocks machined down further and swapped them over, cars feeling much better to drive and sitting slightly lower.. cut kings, just captive

d0ix3zrw.2uz.jpg

Dellorto trumpets arrived, score for $60! got the Datsun tappet cover sand blasted, will paint it up tomorrow with datsun blue. Currently have a Nissan one

nze5yrqc.rul.jpg

Aiming to get the a15 head planed down and valves grinded, will port my manifold to suit and get the dellortos on soon!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Have done a bit of work on the 120 lately.

Had a spare cross rod that I sent away to SAS suspension, they have repaired 2 joints and provided new idler arm bushes. $307.90 total.Quick service! 3 days. Will aim on getting that in asap as current joints are completely flogged, car drives where it wants.

5 speed has done about 2800km's - seems to be reliable as it is defiantly proved its benefit! 3000rpm as apposed to about 3800. On a trip can manage 6.8L to 100km.

Had to make some little spacers to drop the box down, used the 4 speed bracket and the box hit the floor. Spacers working sweet - hope they pass wof with no worries though.

Have made a side skirt too. 50mm rubber with an aluminium piece running the length. Car looks lower which was the intention.

Chin spoiler arrived last week, fitted today. Will have to get the center join plastic welded together.

While on the Datsun North island nats, picked up an old msd 5 unit for $20. Fitted it and seems to work, runs smoother and better on cold starts. Little more torque down bottom.

Dellortos - Fitted the dellortos ive had sitting for a while on the car. Had to drill and tap a new tread as have the newer style head (i believe) Got it running average. seemed to pull great 3-6.5 rpm but would splutter 1000-2800 rpm, idle jet too large??

Anyway had to swap back to single carb as the gaskets let go, filling the barrell with fuel. Will have to get them re built.

Picked up an after school job at Autopaint Wairarapa, so will look at doing a jdm flag bonnet soon with a spear I have. BMW lip spoiler on the way soon too.

Aiming to have the car looking mint for Four and Rotas Manfield 2016

Has done 13,500km in the last 8 months. Defiantly a daily!

tr5tlmav.wgt.jpg

fvkwqphl.hxh.jpg

1bqiqxn4.etf.jpg

y3eg044g.31o.jpg

wsiuw1bi.a52.jpg

f0if2q33.uvt.jpg

hz0wv1lc.hpd.jpg

3oxtgqe2.ehm.jpg

2rxefiy4.gv5.jpg

pzi2x4su.ox1.jpg

sc0vgftv.1xh.jpg

u4dfurl1.0yo.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

So after receiving my rebuild kit from Palmside, i spent 8 hours on saturday cleaning and learning the components of the DHLA 40. Fully stripped the venturris and jets and cleaned the lot. Have re kitted with new gaskets and rubber o rings. The diaphragms seemed in ok condition so left them.

Sunday was spent putting them on the datto! got them running and seem to be not too bad after an attempted tune. so much more power, great with the 5 speed. now averages about 10.5L per 100 as apposed to 6/7L lol

Just so people know for their own projects, im running these jets with a standard a12, just has extractors and 2'' exhaust.

dhla40 dellortos

28 venturi

Pump 40

Idle 45

mains 118

emmulsion .1

fylujhn2.tjd.jpg

y2v4w1an.5vn.jpg

cjlmb3ou.1sv.jpg

y54u2q0w.xqj.jpg

qdyci5yw.thj.jpg

1xwq0plg.3lg.jpg

2rw3k1kd.vyo.jpg

After being told to use a hose and listen to each carb, ive managed to get them going much better. Still spluttery around 1500rpm, cant get it any better. If you have any advice for tuning let me know!! Discussion here

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48815-120whys-75-datsun-120y/ Feel free to comment!

So the 120 will be in 4 and rotarys jamboree at manfield in march. Needing to get a couple things done to tidy it up before then!

jubje5uz.fuc.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been a big last couple months prepping the 120y for 4 & R Jambo, polishing, cleaning and tiding the little bits and bobs

that you never have time to do.

Cheers to Supreme and Autopaint Wairarapa for their support

Headed up to Auckland for the Nats so entered in the Jambo this year

thinking that the Nats may be cool to enter next year.

Picked up the Peoples Choice award so pretty stoked with that!! :)

Few photos of the day, courtesy of the photographers.

Discussion

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48815-120whys-75-datsun-120y/

hyjzpg4l.qv5.jpg

co0o10mu.pzu.jpg

yavrlut1.rks.jpg

ojxmf1a3.30z.jpg

rcki0wuh.p0s.jpg

vdb1dtfn.gxg.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Not much of an update... but the y is running sweet just clicked over 23 thousand km's in since march last year.

Gave her a full service including gbox oil, will be getting a wheel alignment soon so i can get the 15x8's back on!

Went for a loop drive from Wairarapa to Kapiti coast then back over the Rimutaka hill (400 odd KM). Went happily with no trouble.

Welded an extra muffler on in the morning to keep the girlfriend happy. Have been working on my sisters 120y as well, rust cuts underway.

Classic dat with rising sun. lol.

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48815-120whys-75-datsun-120y/#entry1646709

em5vl3r0.dtv.jpg

lfvrdbxi.uq3.jpg

ggj1q4cq.i41.jpg

jeppmpjl.upi.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

At the NZ Datsun Nationals in Oakune  my mechanical fuel pump shat itself while driving up the mountain. The metal plate which holds the diagram was rusted out and not working as it should have. hmmm 40 odd year old pump, had done around 38,000kms with me with no issues. With the A14 being bigger than the A12, the carbs we running out of gas at high RPM for a while. Heading up hills at 5000 rpm it would start to stuggle. 

So I purchased a small Facet cube 7psi pump, Edelbrock 1-4 psi regulator plus all the fittings/fuel line/clamps/thread sealant. Also got an Edelbrock 1-4psi Regulator.  

Mounted the pump on a large rubber block, I installed it upside down above the tank with a filter before. Tucked away and stays quiet. Wired it in through a relay from the ignition and battery. 

Set the regulator to 2.8PSI for the dellortos. 

Working much better now and I can rev at 5k for as long as I want :D

m1hvu2ne.s1s.jpg
bq00k4ye.fpo.jpg
1xn5htto.qdn.jpg
izvg2cli.kd2.jpg
11ex5r2o.lj1.jpg
4eazwdlg.jxz.jpg

• Like 5

• 9 months later...

Long time no update. Family has shifted back to Katikati in the BoP so havent had much time with the car as im still in welly studying at uni. But cars been running well, I have been mucking round with the jetting and adjustments when I come up on breaks. On a trip to Auckland I managed to break one of the diaphragm pump shafts which link the throttle arm to the diaphragm, had to limp it home for 2 hours. 

So a new one of those went in and also some new rubber gaskets which have made such a difference - old ones were flogged. 

Been to Pauanui, the mount and rotorua, hasnt been doing as much travelling with me being away so gets locked under cover in the shed 

288392429_20180826_091624nper.thumb.jpg.774d5c4cecb3efba15e0cf2a38aea8e0.jpg

• Like 6