Cul8r's 1987 MKII VW Golf GTI 16v

CUL8R

• 2 weeks later...

Waterblasted the whole car, removed all the moss, did the door shuts etc.

Greased all the latches along with wd40 in the locks. 

Fuel pump is dead, so pulled that out - replacement on its way. Replaced distributor rotor and cap -but still no spark as of yet.

Oil & Filter have also been replaced. Had it cranking, and have cleaned the plugs up.

Nastiness..

20150620_122039_resized_1_zpsduqaxray.jp

If you look closely here, you can see someone had done a bodge repair - hadn't cut the rust out, rather just overlapped with tin (not even panel steel) - Which no doubt caused sweating and further rusting..

20150620_122046_resized_1_zpsunrefdym.jp

Made a big hole

20150620_132013_resized_1_zps4ha2qvn4.jp

All done, its sitting in primer now. Fully welded, Seam sealed, Fish Oiled, Etch primered and have undersealed the underside.

20150621_151234_resized_1_zpso1ewzjyw.jp

Didn't have a chance to photograph the primer whilst I was packing up - and the weather packing in!

Need to let the paint dry, sand back the inside - Will get a can paint matched with the fuel flap and finish it this week - weather permitting

Discuss; //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48778-chriss-1987-mkii-golf-eurocup-racer-car-with-added-moss/

• Like 5

Black Zinc'd, Primed and Seam sealed, undersealed. Colour matched the fuel flap however the under bonnet is somewhat filthier than the fuel flap so it still stands out.

New Battery, Dizzy Cap, Rotor, TCI-H Unit. Second hand main fuel pump - Lift pump isn't working either now (only discovered just now they have a lift pump after I worked out there wasn't any fuel getting to the high pressure pump)

20150628_174314_resized_2_zpsvsesqqu7.jp

Painted brakes, replaced pads, bled the system. Seat back in. Assembled the front end back on too.

Replacement Lift pump on its way. Might get this thing going sometime yet lol!

Discuss; http://oldschool.co....ith-added-moss/

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Wheels I bought at the same time as the car have arrived ex Japan on Friday..

15x7 35p Sparco Racing

20150807_184536_resized_zps3g4gfkuv.jpg

Dont really fancy the gold and polished look, So I promptly sandblasted them all.

Decisions on colour? - Was thinking quite a dark gunmetal/anthracite sort of colour, no polished lip. That or Matte black centres with gloss black lip..

20150809_221523_resized_zpsqzhcfvvb.jpg

Unfortunately it wasnt to be, didnt manage to get it running for the Worktrack day. Instead drove a Avenger and Camry wagon as hard as I could lol.

Intermittent problems with lift pump. Then I worked out the replacement fuel pump Id bought was from a Digifant - too low in the pressure - although I managed to get the car running for roughly 10-15mins with it, it wasnt right. Put another high pressure pump in and could only cough and splutter - I believe the metering head/injectors are shot as you can crank it over and the fuel is heavily misting out the cylinders with the spark plugs out.

Won't "stancenation" the car, but I will add spacers to get them sitting where I want them. 195/45r15 I think will be the order of the day..

Deciding which set of bike carbs I like the most, Mitchfromhillcrest kindly drew up in autocad the inlet flange for me. Another good Friend will be able to get the flange cut within the next few weeks and I can make a start...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

20160208_183049_resized_zpsskdps55g.jpg

So in preparation for the changes to come, I removed the Inlet, CIS etc.. What surprised me however was the amount of Vacuum lines the car had, and then the amount that were broken, T'd off or rooted, certainly wouldn't have been helping when I was trying to get it running..

Rob has drawn a manifold up, and when time allows we'll do the first trial fit..

Amazing how much roomier it looks now!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Started tidying the engine bay up a little more, splicing some vacuum lines, re-taping some wiring up, relocating the ignition wires to the back of the motor. 

Then had a poke at the rust below the CIS unit - ended up cutting a hole out.

DSC_0025_zps9xnbwv0u.jpg

Welded it in, flapped it flat. Seam sealed top and bottom. Fired some cavity wax in there also. Body deadner applied underside too.

DSC_0026_zpsn1ycvvhp.jpg

Scuffed it back, primer applied - also put some elbow grease into the guard with some meths - Came up pretty nicely indeed!

DSC_0029_zpshgkwg54l.jpg

Used the same colour matched can from when I repaired under the battery tray; 

DSC_0033_zpslogtov4q.jpg

Removed the air con pump, pressed the alternator rear bush out, trimmed the factory air con mount, shimmed the alternator so it sits inline for the v belt. Modified the adjuster bracket also - could Ideally do with a belt 5-10mm shorter as it is maxed out on adjustment and not quite as tight as I'd like (this the the original aircon belt shown here). Polished up the slam panel, modified the radiator top mounts - pulled it under another 8mm or so. Hit it with some Black Zinc paint and clearanced the shroud for the Bike Carb filters

DSC_0032_zpstit5bmrv.jpg

• Like 9

• 5 months later...

So, with the help of a friend, finished off the throttlecable for the manifold.

DSC_0050_1.thumb.JPG.057142675fb38e73900578469d586e80.JPG

Decided I'd make a log manifold for the vacuum ports off the carbs, used seam sealer on some factory plastic pipe and capped the end- hoping for the advance and maybe boosted brakes but who knows how well it will work..

DSC_0054.thumb.JPG.76b0446cad7fbbc611c10dd6ebdfcaed.JPG

Whitleytune Manifold fitted perfectly, looks very smart indeed - I've had it blasted after being machined.

Back of the manifold after being surface ground flat.

DSC_0055.thumb.JPG.3ae6662f529b2937e66ca58a790f0408.JPG

DSC_0051_1.thumb.JPG.fc3b02051f2ec18bc8c2ddc3560a3ef7.JPG

Running the original intank lift pump. After the first fire up it was leaking out the carbs, and had a puddle under the floor. I left it for the night, came back in the morning to find I'd left the barb fitting loose from where I'd put the inline filter & hose, and the carbs were most likely leaking from sitting from a sticky needle/float valves.

Need to balance them properly, however for 5 min of running they are running beautifully - better than the CIS unit ever did in my ownership..

Cannot thank Rob enough for his work and persistence in making the manifold, and friend Gary for his help modifying the original cable to work. 

Can even shut the bonnet without it hitting anything!

DSC_0416_3.thumb.JPG.0d57425a0d2526446df82a3978f37f70.JPG

Discuss; //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48778-chriss-1987-mkii-golf-eurocup-racer-car-with-added-moss/

• Like 8