Be4vers GX60 Cressida Wagon

be4ver

Reassembled and ready to go in :D

ppbZmZM.jpg

Took the old engine out... There is always one bolt/nut that will essentially double the removal time! 

hvYF04g.jpg

If you have never used a hot water-blaster i very much recommend using one if you have a greasy engine bay with 30+ years of shit crusted to it. Cuts through it like butter!

9X3xlTP.jpg

Also im after a decent rust free bonnet and a drivers tail light if anyone has anything??

p1Zxvcw.jpg

• Like 4

So this last week has been pretty average in regards to this whole thing.

OzkySx8h.jpg

The engine went back together and in the hole all very smoothly

XaFdwAUh.jpg

Time came to fire it up... it started first pop!

It was going good all bar a small exhaust leak. So put some water in it and 30 seconds later it died, Tried to restart it and it was farting around and not idling. This is the point in which i notice the fuel light is on..... hmm thats wierd i emptied my 20L fuel container into it just the other day. Ok thats fine, whatever, i'll put some more petrol in it then.

Cue me poring 5 litres of fuel into the tank which promptly gushes straight onto the ground under the car! WTF

Upon closer inspection i see some shit cunt has removed the bung for me from the fuel tank. I luckily found the bung back where the car had been parked. Fuckers! So someone ass hat has jumped a 7 foot fence to make off with my 20L + 10 of half stale petrol! Which they have emptied out using an old icecream container which they kindly left behind. At this point i give up and flush the water from the engine and push the car back to its park.

Next day i filled my 20L container again with petrol went to work and poured half of it in. Turned key and it fired up and idled perfectly! Yuss! so i quickly drove it into the workshop and put it on the hoist and sorted the exhaust leak out.

WEFCnUdh.jpg

with that sussed i filled it back up with water and started it up. AAAAAAnnnnnnnd its running like shit again. WTF. Maybe i didn't put enough petrol in it? so i put the rest of my container in it. Still running like shit. Dies. Won't start. Finally got it going and it barely runs, i give it heaps of throttle and thats when i see it. Bubbles. Bubbles coming out of the fucking radiator!! Fuck sake! Oil under the filler cap is milky as fuck. Shit.

wkJYhrp.jpg

But on the plus side, i found the spare key while it was on the hoist!

ZH5L6Krh.jpg

So at this point i see myself having 3 options;

1 - persevere with this shit heap of a motor and replace the head gasket. (I've never done a head gasket before)

2 - Put the new water pump and cambelt on the original 1g and get new oil seals for it. and cross fingers its ok (this engine has done 280thou kms)

3 - Find another 1g-ewww and hope for the best.

4 - Buy my work mates crashed JZX 110 and put engine and transmission from that into GX60 (low kms and very reliable but lots of fab work needed and cert etc)  

PS - my budget is not very high.

please help 

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/48689-be4vers-gx60-wagon-discussion/

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

*******WARNING*******

This post contains coarse language

Despite all consuming thoughts I've been having  to burn this shit heap thing to the ground I've been making some progress.

The last two months have had thier up n downs with this. Not long after my last post i decided to pull the pin on this 1g and bought another low kms one off a member and another gc brought it up here from duniden. :-D

CBF touching it / wasting time / spending more money on another 1g i decided to just leave it and chuck it straight in as is.

In it goes.

B3F2lcQ.jpg

now is about the time i realise there are a few subtle differences between the 1ge and 1geu.

like this;

8rOU7XC.jpg

and this;

WzGjIpZ.jpg

and some plugs and the oxygen sensors etc

CRxglwa.jpg

also i discover this.

3uOtUWY.jpg

Whatever, thats fine :/

Now with that shit all sorted and everything plumbed up etc ..... its time to fire it up again right? wrong. Some scumy fuck has stolen my petrol. Again!!! 

Whatever, got more petrol the next day and fire it up.

It ran good for a minute or so then starts missing really bad and wont idle, i can hold about 5k revs on it and it sounds ok. So i take it around the block to blow it out and it dies and wont start again  :doubt:  

After looking around for a problem i discover the back of the oil cap has gone all milky looking. WTF

No. Not this shit again. The curse of the 1g

Threw my toys, pack shit up and give up for the day.  :x  :x  :x

Under closer inspection the oil seems to smell a lot like petrol. Hmmm??

As it turns out, lots of fuel in your oil makes it look a lot like it does when there is water in it! who knew..... not me.

So why the hell is it putting so dam much fuel into the engine???

I then discover the fuel return line is completely blocked and the pressure is getting so great that there is fuel squirting out past the hose clamps on the rubber lines. AH HA, that will be the cause of the issue!

z5WR0BF.jpg

NOPE! did not fix the problem.

Different oxygen sensors? nope

The coils are different. is it the coils? nah!

I checked the resistance of the 1ge injectors and they are slightly different to the other 1geu ones. So i changed them over aaaaaand it made no difference. God dam it! 

What else? a bung temp sensor? swapped and tested all the temp sensors. Not that!

Removed and checked the cold start injector. That is fine. 

That only leaves two things, the ECU or the airflow meter. Now i have no way of testing either of these so i give up for a couple weeks.

Which brings us to today. I took the AFM off to take and compare to my 1ggeu one and maybe try that in there. That's when i realize that the fucking flap inside it is stuck at about 3/4 of the way open! Well that will sure as hell cause a shit load of fuel to be injected unnecessarily won't it!!

P5Pfp1W.jpg

Nasty

KzcnJVB.jpg

RZBZaAe.jpg

J3Nd7CA.jpg

Its now that i realize there was possibly not much wrong with the last engine i just took out, and the fact that the compression tested good amplifies the fact that it was just doing the same dam thing this has been doing.  :x

ax7asVk.jpg

Anyway! i put the afm back together after I regreased the rusty bearing and gave it a good clean up. Start it up and WOOOOOOO success!!  it idles and revs smoothly. Finally!

So i take it for a hoon around the block and it dies. Out of fuel. Who the fuck is stealing my petrol!! I feel actually feel sorry for people who are scummy enough to have to steal peoples fuel. The price of meth must be going up or something. 

So with all that behind me i can now make some dam progress!  8)

0GUacgX.jpg

• Like 8

• 9 months later...