What gearbox to use

M.H.

I have a mercedes w126 500sec that i want to convert to manual. There was no factory manual gearbox available for the v8. It only has 195kw standard but ill be doing something about that. What options do i have for a gearbox? Making an adapter plate and flywheel shouldn't be a problem

Yes its a m117. The old m116 and m117 used in the old w116 cars did have a manual gearbox which is extremely rare and will not fit the later alloy block m117. There is no manual gearbox for the m117 and m119 v8

Use a tremac t5 box from v8 falcon commodore camaro mustang etc....a clutch will be cheap and easy to obtain as will be a hydraulic release bearing set-up they have a basic 4 bolt pattern used to secure it to a piece of plate that you could weld or bolt to the auto bell housing....and there's a multitude of shifter options...a new box is only like $2k off eBay.....

There's like a million different versions, from Aussie toyota 4 cylinder to V8..... They were used behind 304 Holdens and 302 Fords.......from memory the V8 box will handle 200 odd hp.

Best bang for buck is the TKO box from a late 90's mustang..... 500 ftlb 500hp supposedly......

• Like 1

toyota r154 pretty strong box

Yea i have been doing a bit of research on them. The r series boxes are quite strong and are used in hiluxs and are quite cheap. Having a removable bellhousing is nice too

• Like 1

if you want manual there is a getrag something manual that was the factory option in other countries but probably hens teeth here, but you never know it might be worth importing from scandanavia or germany if the other options are spendy too. if you are going tremec go T56 just they are $$$$. stout though. Maybe J160 dunno if it will hack the torque or not though.

but why manual? I wouldnt think it neccesary unless you are building a dedicated circuit w126 because madman or something

if you just want something stout for skids then there are alot of auto options that will take as much or more abuse

e.g. 722.3 (might already have this?) uprated with extra frictions and line pressure wound up, 722.6 from a late model merc, powerglide, TH400 or 4L80E.

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to go with a t56. Will also have to do something about the diff as it has a 2.8 ratio. R200 will probably be used. Will be having a bellhousing and flywheel made for it in tge next couple of weeks