Kempy's ACME Healing Cruiser.

kempy

Seems that time has marched on a bit, working 50-70 hour weeks and not really having any time for anything’s token it’s toll in the pursuit of pleasure.

I thought it was time to change this and I that It would be a good idea to start with re-working a fun project, the bike was the most motivating and easily grabs my attention, and there’s a few things that could be improved.

The main objective is that Id like a bit more confidence that Im not about to faceplant the tarmac at any given moment due to weak points in the bike, cant so much about rider skill.

Frame: It’s no secret that I’m probably not the size of rider that the manufacturer had in mind and I’d also say that the frame is giving it’s all to stay together, hurtling down the track at over 70k’s ( unofficially 90+) with with 100 kilos of adult on board 

Wheels: Pretty much the same as above, they’ve done their job and worked to earn their keep

Handling: At 60-70kph it gets a bit dicey, To be honest I’m not sure if handling gets any better over that speed or if it’s just the adrenaline correcting things for me, needless to say it gets a bit hairy and those wee front forks are a bit of a concern.

Power: it does take a bit of time to get going and pedaling is fairly essential to get moving until the jet seems to get to a critical airflow. a little more power would be nice.

This will never be a daily ride, I just run the gauntlet occasionally, It’s just too loud and too thirsty.

I can guarentee it's never going to gain a tick of approval from our friendly road enforcement crew, but it is the most fun I’ve ever had on two wheels.

Probably the most logical thing would be to used a more suitable frame, and In essence I would agree, however the project would lose its appeal to me, sure, Anyone can strap a large turbine on a race bike and go fast.. but that’s not not my bag.

From here there’s only a couple of options for me (but feel free to chime in with suggestions), either work the current bike by strengthening the frame, wheels, forks and improve the handling a bit or try to find another similar looking bike that already has these attributes. 

I did consider the Sakei bike for this but it seems a bit of a shame to use what I believe is a fairly uncommon bike and bastardize it like this.

Are there any similar looking/size bikes with the characteristics that I’m looking for?Im unaware but open to suggestion.

As for improving the cruiser, Wheels, I’ve seem some nice wheels and tires that should hold out at speeds up to 100k’s no problems( according to the guy in the shop), better bearings would seem the go as well.

Frame: I’m guessing some strengthening at weld/joints for the main tube would be a good start, along with the forks as well, just at the beginning of the thought process with this one.

Handling: fark knows, guess I have some reading and questioning to do.

Power: I was considering an afterburner but the maths and Engineering got a bit over my levels of enthusiasm to make something that actually gave a valuable power increase. There’s tons of people that have made them, however most seem to be all noise ( and heat) and extremely inefficient which is a consideration for me as I’m only carrying a few litres of fuel.

I do however have a plan B for power, a cunning plan indeed.

PS. it’s not a hybrid electric/ jet turbine bike either.

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'upgrade' to single tube moped frame? to keep the look - plus heavier build, and a larger head set size to suit forks with better geometry/strength..?  eg yamaha QT50. would need diy rear end i guess, but also allows for adjustment of head angle, wheelbase and wheel type. and a moped is less likely to be brazed together which suits fusion welding mods a little better

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of maintenance and planning, there's a lot more to ponder with moving to twin turbines.

Most likely I'll end up re-designing most of the original configuration with larger tube to keep twice the amount the wires and pipes hidden

The original bike has part of the tank that's reserved for the fuel pump, fuel and gas solenoid valves, filters etc. which takes up ~20% of the tank volume, the new version will suck the current 2.5lL tank dry in 3 minutes @ full power (@.83L/min) so it's going to need a larger tank too. I'm thinking of moving the pumps etc. to a larger control box above the turbines so I can keep as much volume as possible for fuel, this depends on tank location and if the pumps can suck fuel up from the tank, I don't really want to add a 3rd fuel pump.

I might see if I can sneak the tank under the main frame this time instead of on top to lower the centre of gravity,

Just stripped down the turbine on the left and gave it a visual check and clean, the bearings have a slight noise so it might need to be sent off to have the bearings replaced and turbine balanced.

Double Trouble

vxsia5bx.l0j.jpg

Electronics will need a redesign as well with independent throttles for each turbine as well as 2 ECU's, I'm hoping to get away with one battery source.

Throttles will need to change from the current rotary knobs design to 2 sliding throttles, remotely similar to those used on commercial jets as it will be too difficult to balance the engines with 2 rotary knobs and ride the bike

Something like the chopper bike gear lever would be cool but they're impossible to find, let alone 2 of them

The bike will need an emergency cut off this time, all jokes aside things could get a bit nasty if I came off the bike under full noise as the turbines would continue at full throttle until something bad happened or they ran out of gas.

I'm thinking of a lanyard design like the ones used on jetski's.

Should be an interesting noise hearing 2 turbines spooling up

• Like 5

Hey, sorry it took me a while to chime in here, this looks wild!

Anyway, could you fit some good BMX forks to your frame to beef the front up and alter the trail a little?

Otherwise what if you made a new frame, taking design cues off this frame but with a bigger size, made of heavier tube,  with better wheels, and brakes.

Maybe C90, or KX80 or something along those lines?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Muncie said:

I have 2 electric scooter throttles if you could use them your welcome to them Twist grip style around 40mm wide. Would serve as deadman as well if you left the return springs in.

Thanks for the offer, I'd like to go down the sliding throttle path though as there's other controls that also need to be incorporated

That postie bag idea certainly has me pondering the idea, all the electronics, fuel etc could be stuffed into each bag

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...