Slacker_Sams 1992 Lada 2104 Station Wagon.

So this evening I decided to try and combat the rattly tappets and/or the rattly timing chain. So I followed the instructions in the owners manual and did the timing chain (manually adjusted tensioner). I then tackled the valve clearances. The book says 0.15mm Cold. But my ones were all tight at 0.10mm. If i loosen them off they'll be even more noisy?? So Im not quite sure what to do there...It got very cold outside so I called it a night.

Shitty engine pic

20150524_1152301_zpsdhr6kaap.jpg

With the Rocker cover removed. Weird camshaft housing makes checking clearances a pain in the ass!

20150526_2032011_zpscqorm5ni.jpg

Has anyone had much to do with these Lada Motors? Are they naturally just a bit rattly in the valve train?

That's all for tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever had that feeling where you know you shouldn't have started messing with something? I thought I'd give the cooling system a birthday as it looks all rusty and shitty inside and its running at just over half way on the temp gauge. climbing to 3/4 when under heavy load. Hotter than I would like.

20150605_102731_zpsgbl9g3q2.jpg

Then i pulled the fan assembly off the radiator. Lots of lovely black water came out.

20150605_103356_zpswq6pw70a.jpg

So I sent the radiator off to Motueka Radiators to have a good clean up. I thought I better locate the thermostat and see if that is part of the issue....couldn't find it.....Surely its not in that weird canister with hoses coming off it. Oh wait yes it is because Soviet Russia!

20150605_102759_zpsnkbjheao.jpg

I cleaned all the shit out, tested it, and it seems to open at about 88-90 degrees. So I'll roll with that for now. Bit hotter than I'd like though.

And all the hose clamps are single use only! Similar design to CV boot clamps. Almost like you were never meant to take it apart.

20150605_131322_zpsuvshwcsw.jpg

mmmm gunky

20150605_103305_zpshc2vjalu.jpg

Radiator came back all clean and like new...or so I thought

20150605_153222_zpsauqarcil.jpg

So I cleaned up the engine bay, smashed it all back together and filled it with coolant as quickly as possible to attend this months Nelson meet in Takaka.

Total disaster!!!! Jane and I made it 3/4 up the Takaka hill and noticed the temp gauge creeping up again. Then I noticed a green substance leaking onto my left foot from the heater core. Uh oh... So we pulled over, popped the bonnet and there was green water everywhere. Dobbie at the Radiator shop must have had one to many doobies that day and forgot to re solder the inlet pipe onto the radiator properly! So that was our trip over. We coasted back down the hill, topped up the water at the bottom and went home.

Out with the radiator again. Ugh. Lada life.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

No pictures this time. Total disaster. I bought a new thermostat and installed it. The local radiator guy kindly re-did the leaky radiator again.

The disaster happened when i plumbed it all up. Started it up, bled as much air out as i could.....Still getting boiling hot. Cant see any circulation happening in the radiator. No flow if you pull the top hose off and run the motor. I think the water pump may have lost its blades, as in they have rotted off.

And the heater tap is doing wees all over the carpet.

Lada Life.