Washing Machine technical help needed

igor

High gang. Not really, or even at all, related to cars but couldn't work out where else to post this. Does anybody know anything about the mechanicals of washing machines? I have an American Whirlpool model 6ALSR7244MW0 less than ten years old that still washes well but won't spin the water out. I had a look on the tard for any suitable replacement and saw another similar Whirlpool machine (6ALSR7244MW3) with the same problem and they reckoned it was the spin clutch that was causing it. Can any of you advise whether this is likely to be the case and how big a prick it is to fix. Sister-in-law reckons her other half (engineer, the kind that makes things) can probably manufacture any mechanical components if necessary. Thanking you in advance. Igor.

Had same issue before on a difference machine. The tub actually rotated but wouldn't remove the water, same issue as you? The propeller in the water pump had come off. Glued that bad boy back on and all was good.

Was a real easy fix if everything else still works.

Could be a possibilty Dave. I once removed two very crispy mice from the back of an electric range.

So other than not pumping out the water it spins and does all the rest all good?

Investigate that water pump if so. My issue was real obvious but once you start tearing washing machines apart they are pretty basic internally.

Not entirely related, but we had a coin go straight through the plastic tub on our washing machine. Machine place wanted $400 to fix it so my dad just glued the piece back in with epoxy and a rag. Worked fine until the machine was retired.

Some of them have a big solenoid that pulls a mechanism to make it spin proper - I've fixed a friends by acquiring another part, once from the tip shop.

Pull it apart and have a look - you probably can't make it any worse.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Had the Whirlpool apart today. Completely different arrangement to the old F&P 400. Pump is mounted on edge at the front. It is necessary to take the casing off to even see it. Pump is sweet, all drain hoses were clogged with dirt so cleaned those out. Some improvement but not much. Washes okay but still won't spin properly. Tempted to take it out and shoot it but I can't cos it's too big to fit out the door. The door we brought it in through now has a fitted workbench in front of it. 

• Like 1

Pump pressure is sweet. After cleaning the machine is functioning much better. Only have to spin twice now. Not overloading it to buggery helps too.

Also got F&P400 and 380 in the workshop now attempting to make a good one out of the two. Some fool cut the power cable off the 380. I know Red is Phase and Black is Neutral but the 380 has the old Blue and Brown wires. Which is which please? Can't just bullshit my way through it cos I don't want to fry myself. Also the switch gear is slightly different from one model to the next and the wiring diagrams are unreadable.

Cheers for that Corbie and Nominal. I found a similar picture in an old Reader's Digest home repairs book after I posted the question. Those two machines have sat outside for seven years so I'm not putting money on my ability to make them go.

• 1 month later...

Today I finally got round to putting another power cord on the F&P 380. After seven years in the paddock it powered up and spun. All the switch gear seems to be operational. All I need to find now is a drain hose that fits on the pump outlet then I can give it a proper test.