Brockzilas e21 320/6 BMW build

OK actual work 

Took off the wheels .Looks a bit sad now.

IMAG0740.jpg

Collected the motor and got it in the shed. 

That auto trans will be coming off this week.  I already have a box for iit.  But yes it's a big motor. 

With this in it it will have the same power to weight as a e46 m3. 

IMAG0739.jpg

IMAG0744.jpg

Pulled out the drivers carpet. 

Rust in the floor.  Not as bad as I thought and the grey car has a good floor with a sound accelerator pedal mount. Mine has rusted off completely.  

IMAG0741.jpg

This bit is more interesting/scary.  It's at the bottom of the a pillar 

IMAG0743.jpg

• Like 3

rust rust and more rust 

the fire wall has rust. top corner where the fire wall,  the guard, and the compartment under the screen all meet.

IMAG0750_BURST001.jpg

looks like there may have been some impact damage in the past. the from bar has signs of plug welds not being ground down fully. But it all appears straight. 

also the bottom of the a pillar is going to have to be cut out to get to the compartment behind it to repair the worm. 

IMAG0746.jpg

But i have the front end stripped and have started to unhook the motor ready for removal.

Any one want an old M20B20 carb motor runs very well and starts 1st pop after 6 weeks. I also have a m20b23 that im going to try and fit the carb and dizzy to and get started.  

will load photos while im on the train on my way home. 

I hate rust

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been busy not doing much on the car, but been doing lots around the car . 

IMAG0874.jpg

So I pulled the m20b23 out of the rusty 323. It's 4speed which is disappointing. T thought it was but now I know . The motor is going down to Hastings to aid duddly get his stroke on. 

I also sold the motor that I had sitting on the stand, 2.0l iron has been replaced with 2.8 alloy. They look the same but they are not. 

IMAG0870.jpg

I  have lots of parts that need to be cleaned. And I have always wanted a media blaster.

So I have reclaimed some panels that have been left on the road side. Used an old stainless sink and have started. It's currently riveted, once I get a new liner for my mig and I'm happy I'll make some holes and plug weld it. But my cheap Chinese rivet gun broke.  I also need to fold up the top. Need to sort out some 900 long angle stock to make the folds or better a long folding brake. 

IMAG0873.jpg

Next up I performed some biopsy so see how bad the cancer was under the paint. 

Looked in the common spots on one side.  Found bog but no reason for it. Will see when I strip it right back 

IMAG0869.jpg

IMAG0868.jpg

IMAG0867.jpg

IMAG0866.jpg

IMAG0865.jpg

That is quite annoying a patch lap joint and not on the entire section so now under the bogg rust holes.

Enough for now. 

Oh and I have also been doing this 

IMAG0828.jpg

IMAG0830.jpg

And allot of time with this one 

IMAG0838.jpg

I need new photos. She's got so much more hair now. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a list of works / parts needed. 

Bushes, e21 front and e34 rear bushes. 

E36 mid case diff cover. And diff bush

E28 Axle (may fit e34)

Drive shaft and loops 

Rear sway bar, ?? Factory for the car or the sub frame will not work 

Braided brake lines. 

Rear brakes, looking for vented 540I discs and calipers. 

Radiator- prob e36 6cylinder and electric fans 

Exhaust

Front caliper rebuild kit Holden commodore vt

X2 front wheel bearings 

X1 rear wheel bearing 

Front strut and lower chassis bracing

ZF gearbox

6cyl gear linkage. 

Rebuild kit for masters and slaves

Front screen.

Flared arches. 

High beams

Screen rubbers

Carpets 

Roof lining 

Power steering lines

Battery relocation kit

Rear strut brace

Will add more when I think of it 

• 2 weeks later...

Question.

So I have recently got my self a full power steering system for the car. My shoulders are to damaged to live with manual steering and big wide tyres.

But I digress.

The power steering pump that comes on the car is 100 bar

The pump that is bolted to the side of the new motor is a 120bar.

How much of difference will the extra 20 bar make?

Make the steering lighter?

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Picture free post at this point photos will be added soon. 

So things have been even slower than before. Getting  the vapour shed up and running has taken up a lot of what little time I have had. 

I also had to sell my motor, gearboxes and LSD to fund the shed fitout. Not worries as who needs drive line when I still have rust to repair.

But in car related news. 

So things came to a very dramatic stop. 

So the rust in the fire wall lead me to some fairly terminal findings. 

The reason the firewall had rusted.is it.is.where a new front corner had been welded on to the car.  I pulled the guards off and discovered a weld line that was under bog. From the front right hand corner back to the Lh fire wall is off a different car.  Hard to spot and obviously an old repair from when this was standard practice. But to repair the fire wall was going to be lots of work. 

Been doing a lot of thinking. 

So I had a car with some serious damage and moderate rust. and a car that was rusty. 

What to do 

I decided that I did not want to do large amounts of work on a car that I may need engineers repAir certs. Knowing the extent of the damage I will not to bodge it and have a car I really could not sell without complete disclosure. 

So I managed to steal some time and got in to the grey 323I with a wire brush and grinder.

I found some very pleasing things. 

The areas that I had already found large amounts of bog in were not rusty as thought. There had been some poor braised lap patches in its past. These had then had large amounts of bog used to cover them up.  The entire sill area was covered in bog with no major damage under. The rear panel had some accident damage but no rust in the arches and lower rear. the rear light panel is shot. 

Yes it's got some serious rust but it's also fixable and it's rusty in areas that the black one is not!!!  

So in a complete turn around the grey one is being kept and the black one fully stripped all common and needed panels cut out and the rest scrapped. 

Now I'm.clear as to what is needed to be done I'm.moving forward with a cutting disc and a grinder. Happy but sad as well.  

Lists have been written on bonnets and I'm making progress after almost a year of stagnation. 

Onwards and upwards

Photos.to come soon. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...