clown_dog's 1989 Fiat Panda MKII 1000s Discussion

clown_dog

last time i was in one of these it was pre- license days in a friend's one driving through flax to get on a school field for skids. terrible skids.

tales of interest..

he treated it a bit rough, and had what looked like RWD offset minilites on it. then a wheel broke off while he was driving on the road. not sure what exact part failed.

they can do jumps at the skatepark, refer to previous comment

the dash 'bag' looked a lot like an almost-finished roll of wallpaper

the mirrors have convoluted mountings, they look flexible but are the opposite. i had to pay for the one i broke off while trying to adjust the mirror, goddam

he may still have a flap-top one of these in the shed in greytown but i havent seen this guy in years.

• Like 1

last time i was in one of these it was pre- license days in a friend's one driving through flax to get on a school field for skids. terrible skids.

tales of interest..

he treated it a bit rough, and had what looked like RWD offset minilites on it. then a wheel broke off while he was driving on the road. not sure what exact part failed.

they can do jumps at the skatepark, refer to previous comment

the dash 'bag' looked a lot like an almost-finished roll of wallpaper

the mirrors have convoluted mountings, they look flexible but are the opposite. i had to pay for the one i broke off while trying to adjust the mirror, goddam

he may still have a flap-top one of these in the shed in greytown but i havent seen this guy in years.

Haha gold. This one is nearing 300,000kms I'll get it there. Pretty peppy for how old it is.

I hope the same part doesn't fail on mine!

Let me know if you ever get in contact with the old mate and he's got the panda lying around.

Cheers,

• Like 1

good job.

fyi I'm pretty sure the big block 1242cc motor from the puntos bolts to the gearbox. no doubt it wont fit and will make your life hell for how many other reasons. something anyway.

the turbo 1400 from the grande punto/500abarth/alfamito might even go in there i think its based off the same architecture but good luck those existing at wreckers for a reasonable price unless you know a guy with a beard.

anyway panda, much loltasticness in a tiny cube

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Yeah a 4WD one would be the best! I think a guy Mal owns two of them down south somewhere.

Yeah I've seen Mal's dark blue 4wd Panda in action at a paddock bashing event in the Waikato. It's a rad little car, LHD too!

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Wow- first Panda Ive seen here since coming back to NZ.  We often stayed at a campground at the top of Lake Garda, Italy when over there for a bike race. Every year I would witness the same beat up old 4wd Panda getting ragged up and down between the olive groves. It was so cool and I wanted one ever since. Not long after my brother bought a new 4wd Panda in Bristol but its shit compared to the old ones. Just nothing like them.

You are a lucky fella for just having a Panda.  At least yours sort of looks 4wd.

Oh and your Gulf racing scheme looks so sweet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow- first Panda Ive seen here since coming back to NZ.  We often stayed at a campground at the top of Lake Garda, Italy when over there for a bike race. Every year I would witness the same beat up old 4wd Panda getting ragged up and down between the olive groves. It was so cool and I wanted one ever since. Not long after my brother bought a new 4wd Panda in Bristol but its shit compared to the old ones. Just nothing like them.

You are a lucky fella for just having a Panda.  At least yours sort of looks 4wd.

Oh and your Gulf racing scheme looks so sweet!!!

Cheers bro! Yeah I'd really love to have 4wd version. But I'll take what I can get! 

Every now and then a Fiat Panda will pop up on trademe. Just gotta get your search favourites set up ;)