Kempy's quad bike rebuild.

kempy

'spose this goes in 2 wheels?

Every man needs too many projects at once so lets kick off another one.

About a year ago I picked up rough looking TRX, off a dairy farm, battery had gone flat and the guy couldn't be bothered getting it replaced so he bought a new one, I figured that his maintenance programme would be a similar non-caring state so I ended up negotiating a pretty good price on it.

Not my photo, but very similar to this except it looked a lot worse and had a 70KG+ bull bar/side bar attached to it which I removed straight away.

$_75.JPG

Spent the next week cleaning it, /soaling it with cleaners, waterblasting, steam cleaning, that cow poop was absolutely caked and baked on.

After the first couple of washes I removed the bottom skid plate and filled up 2 x 20l buckets of cow poop, which went in the garden.

Decided that it really needed a complete strip down, so here's the bike in my shed with a few bits out of the shot view

There's a Quad bike in here....

12c43yst.s4c.jpg

• Like 1

I had the frame sandblasted as it had surface rust covering the bottom parts, I wanted to leave the stickers intact and the top was in mint condition so masked that area off.

Using POR-15 on the frame awesome stuff, sets as hard as glass but lacks UV stability so I'll overcoat the exposed parts with chassis black.

Have coated the front/bottom so far, went to turn it over and some sand blasting grit came out of a parallel universe i think, I blew out every nook and crannie with compressed air so many times.

uebwn12l.2qx.jpg

• Like 1

It's a 2008 TRX420FM, 420cc fuel injected 5 speed manual 4WD. 

I was going to use it at the beach to tow the jet ski but summer came and went with everything that was going on this year, so as winter rolls in and less daylight to work on the caravan I'll need a workshop project to keep me busy.

But of panelbeating to do to the rear diff guard, a bead blaster makes fine prep, probably boring as batsh*t for some but it keeps me entertained.

Before

qja11yws.dbi.jpg

Half Done

1zryyuqf.zb2.jpg

Bead Blasting done.

y20jb4qs.ylu.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers, looking forward to getting it back together, would be much easier if I would stop pulling things apart.

Have done a little bit more lately, stripped the bars and had them powder coated, came up better than i expected as they looked like crap.

wrjrtobk.dlz.jpg

• Like 1