Converting single piece wheels to 3 piece

BattleSnayke

Alright, so far no one has purchased my wheels, possibly over priced? not sure, but im not interested in reducing the price.

Im now considering the possibility of turning them into 3 piece wheels... Does anyone know a company that is able to do this? and do a good job?

They are currently 14x6.5 +9, maybe looking at 14x10 and 14x9, or even going to 14x12.

6gy0s3.jpg

The problem with 3 piecing them is that you're machining the stepped dish flat, you're getting rid of only thing thats ever cool about dish in the first place.

The widened ones pictured look yuck with the flattened off face and gross bolts/studs combo going on there.

If you're just wanting to recuperate some money, then 3 piecing them isnt going to be worth your while.

Probably just need to take a hit on asking price, or hold on to them.

• Like 2

Straight off the bat you will be looking at 2k+ for barrels ($500+ a pop as no doubt these wont be an off the shelf item, see http://pine-engineering.co.nz/collections/frontpage/products/lip-14 for one example of pricing, and from memory it was about 500 a pop from bateman in wellington as well) and thats the cheap option(ie just removing the outer face and making them 2 piece. DOuble that for making them 3 piece as you would likely need new inner barrels as well)

And then machining costs which will be higher than splitting a welded 3 piece (not an uncommon exercise).

I would say by the time all is said and done, you will be looking at 3k+ at a minimum, make that 5k odd if you went proper 3 piece (i cant imagine you could used the existing inner part of the wheel as a barrel)

Im sure you could get a baller set of something from japan for less than that.

• Like 1

Ive also used Gavin, have got about 14 shells from him now and have been satisfied with the work. Last order I did with him was for four 4" wide 14" dia shells, all polished at $260 a piece (I split the wheels, and drilled the PCD).

Looking at the front of the wheel it would be pretty easy to make those wheels 2 piece, bolt on a outer shell to get the width you want, only problem with that is you cant select the offset you want.

i think its a great idea if that is the look you want to go with . they can look amazing if you do a nice job of it .

i cant see it being hard at all to mill  them into flanges and throw some holes around the edges. . all being that there is enough material and you can make a sufficient locating ring for the barrel itself

here are some successful attempts  

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5995809-Custom-1-piece-wheels-to-2-3-piece

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=Indywidual-wheel&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Mhw2VcuxO-i4mAW77oHwCg&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1670&bih=772